[SOLVED] Should I upgrade or move on to a new build?

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
Have had my computer since late 2015. It's rocking an i5-7600k, evga gtx 1070 superclocked, and 16gb of ddr4 ram (forgot speed) on an asus z-270a pro. Every part is obviously about 5-6 years old, and I've been noticing lacking performance, especially in my CPU on CPU intensive games. I have two options that are obvious to me at the moment.:
  1. Upgrade my computer's CPU to an i7-7700k. (This would save me the price of a whole new system. Just not sure how obsolete the 7700k is, also not sure about how good the ASUS mobos are looking back on them.)
  2. Upgrade CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, and COOLER, use 1070 as temp card until I can buy a 3060 ti.
Any input is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Main question answered, any pc part input / advice is now appreciated. Please check replies for pcpartpicker list for future build.

Last edited:
Solution
Well the obvious question I'm going to ask is whats your budget? If money is not an issue then you're better off going for a new build but if money is tight then upgrading to a 7700k can offer some improvement (on games that take advantage of multithreading) although nothing that significant imo.

Personally I would be looking for a new system build.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, budget is the big question here. The RAM can be reused -- do check to see what speed it is, because that's a key thing if you're considering an AMD platform -- the GPU for sure, and possibly the cooler, storage, and if it's a quality one, the PSU. 4c/8t is starting to become a bit outdated, so I'd avoid just going to a 7700K unless you either get a very good deal or budget demands that compel it.

Have had my computer since late 2015. It's rocking an i5-7600k, evga gtx 1070 superclocked, and 16gb of ddr4 ram (forgot speed) on an asus z-270a pro. Every part is obviously about 5-6 years old, and I've been noticing lacking performance, especially in my CPU on CPU intensive games. I have two options that are obvious to me at the moment.:
  1. Upgrade my computer's CPU to an i7-7700k. (This would save me the price of a whole new system. Just not sure how obsolete the 7700k is, also not sure about how good the ASUS mobos are looking back on them.)
  2. Upgrade CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, and COOLER, use 1070 as temp card until I can buy a 3060 ti.
Any input is appreciated, thanks.
What's your budget, what is your monitor resolution and what country are you located?

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
Well the obvious question I'm going to ask is whats your budget? If money is not an issue then you're better off going for a new build but if money is tight then upgrading to a 7700k can offer some improvement (on games that take advantage of multithreading) although nothing that significant imo.

Personally I would be looking for a new system build.
Yeah, budget is the big question here. The RAM can be reused -- do check to see what speed it is, because that's a key thing if you're considering an AMD platform -- the GPU for sure, and possibly the cooler, storage, and if it's a quality one, the PSU. 4c/8t is starting to become a bit outdated, so I'd avoid just going to a 7700K unless you either get a very good deal or budget demands that compel it.
What's your budget, what is your monitor resolution and what country are you located?

Thank you for the replies. My budget right now is around $2200, since I need a new keyboard and monitor. I plan on saving over a long period of time so any increases or decreases in the setup price is fine. I actually have a pcpartpicker list if anyone is interested. About the RAM being reused, is there a way to check the speed through the OS or will I have to open the pc and check? Located in the United States. Right now I'm at 1080p 60hz looking for 1440p 144hz so I can get more performance out of a 3060.

EDIT: forgot the pcpartpicker link. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zzpFz7
Any input on any parts and what I can save / put more money on is appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: Why_Me
Thank you for the replies. My budget right now is around $2200, since I need a new keyboard and monitor. I plan on saving over a long period of time so any increases or decreases in the setup price is fine. I actually have a pcpartpicker list if anyone is interested. About the RAM being reused, is there a way to check the speed through the OS or will I have to open the pc and check? Located in the United States. Right now I'm at 1080p 60hz looking for 1440p 144hz so I can get more performance out of a 3060.

EDIT: forgot the pcpartpicker link. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zzpFz7
Any input on any parts and what I can save / put more money on is appreciated, thanks.
Change your memory to 3600mhz (Ryzen cpu's benefit from high clocked RAM) and stick with 1080P for now if this build is for gaming.

Reactions: Vxrokk

Vxrokk

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
Change your memory to 3600mhz (Ryzen cpu's benefit from high clocked RAM) and stick with 1080P for now if this build is for gaming.

I heard 1080p doesnt draw out the full power of the higher end cards. Should I get a high refresh rate 1080p?

Reactions: Vxrokk
Solution

TRENDING THREADS