should i upgrade to 1080 or 1080 TI?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dunno who this other guy is, but he sure seems arrogant.

Anyway, agree with constantine, for 1440p 144 Hz, 1080 Ti or bust. 1440p 144 Hz is extremely taxing on both CPU and GPU, so you need the best of the best of both components for running that. A 1080 Ti would definitely be recommended, but you'll need a CPU upgrade as well for that. A top of the line i7 'K' chip is best suited for 1440p 144 Hz.

Unless you plan on upgrading the CPU as well, stick to 60 Hz, whether you want 1440p or 1080p is up to you. If you want the GTX 1080 to last long, 1080p 60 Hz, but if you want better visuals and don't mind upgrading a bit sooner than you'd have to at 1080p, 1440p 60 Hz will also run with a GTX 1080 perfectly. But 1440p 144 Hz, you'd need a CPU upgrade along with the GTX 1080 Ti, nothing less.

@Shektron, Gaius had a point actually, i manage to found fireangel1996's post before this one here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3531875/upgrade-ram-good-16gb-set.html

Gaius explained to him about RAM and also GPU, which is why he's irritated that fireangel had to make another post to ask the approximately asking the same thing that Gaius explained in the first post imo :eek:
which OP seems to abandon (never picked a solution there) and then proceed to make a new thread (which is where we are now)

fireangel1996

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
So if I'm gonna go with a gtx 1080 I should go with a 1080p 60 Hz monitor then? I also seen a 1080p 144Hz monitor what's your opinion of that with my setup + the 1080?

get the 1080p 144hz
on e-sport games, u'll definitely get the fps above it
on AAA titles though, it depends on how demanding is the game, it might / might not reach the 144

u can still max almost all (if not all) games on 1080p@60 with the GTX 1080 though [in case u decide on getting the 1080p60]

gaius_iulius

Notable
Sep 6, 2017
lol, I am not irritated, merely amused.
I am not collecting badges, so receiving a "best solution" or not is irrelevant to me.

And yes, of course I have a point ... I didn't spend time on the other thread to entertain myself, but rather to help an inexperienced user make a decision which will not waste his money.
Whether he follows my advice or decides to spend 850 dollars on a card which, due to the limitations of his CPU and screen, will give him no palpable improvement of performance compared to a 350-dollar-card is equally irrelevant to me.

What I don't particularly appreciate, however, is being called a prick by somebody who is clueless, asks for advice, thanks me for that advice ... and then opens a new thread to get his original, ignorant opinion confirmed.

(On a side note: The original thread started by him wondering whether to buy DDR4 memory for a 4th generation i7 CPU ... which should tell you all you need to know about his level of knowledge as well as his (in)ability to do simple online research.)

Cheers,
Gaius

Alright my bad.

Let's stick to the topic. I'd say avoid 144 Hz unless you want a CPU upgrade as well. The i7 4790 may not be able to hit 144 Hz in games. However, with all that extra GPU horsepower to spare, it might still be a good choice to go 144 Hz - it really depends on whether you want the extra smoothness or not. You'll be held back by the CPU in almost all games except a few which are really GPU-dependent. If you want 144 Hz monitor, you can get the GTX 1080, and then also get a CPU upgrade ASAP to fully utilize your GPU and monitor.

fireangel1996

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

Hmm I might do that then, cus I was going to get a diff CPU in the future just not at this moment, thanks for all the help