Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
should i upgrade to a 1080 or an i7 8700k

i currently have an

i7 4790(non-k)
zotac geforce gtx 970
12gb ddr3 ram
p81-d3 motherboard

i really want to play games at ultra with 100 fps because i have a 144hz monitor

Solution
Not likely this month: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-graphics-architecture-delayed,36603.html
It'll depend on the game, but upgrading either individually may or may not show much of an improvement.
The gpu determines your max fps, and the cpu your avg fps. You're looking at spending some $$$ either way. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you though. Getting an 8700k means having to get a new mobo and ram as well. Gpu prices the world over just aren't good right now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not likely this month: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-graphics-architecture-delayed,36603.html
It'll depend on the game, but upgrading either individually may or may not show much of an improvement.
The gpu determines your max fps, and the cpu your avg fps. You're looking at spending some $$$ either way. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you though. Getting an 8700k means having to get a new mobo and ram as well. Gpu prices the world over just aren't good right now.

Solution

I wanted to upgrade my PC about 10 months ago but I needed to save money until I could afford the upgrade(s). That gave me ample time to do the research and ask the questions. Do I need an entirely new foundation, meaning board, CPU and RAM, or do I just upgrade the GFX card. My hard budget was $2000.

Had
image.png
Have
2018_PC.png

My choice changed my rig completely in each and every game. Loads, temps and FPS changes were pretty drastic. I was playing Far Cry 4 yesterday and to see the GPU max out at 39C is something I appreciate.

The monitor upgrade will be next.

When will cryptocurrency stop being mined by gaming graphic cards? When will the investment exceed the return? I suspect Volta won't act like a price reset button. Why must the price decrease? The bubble has to pop sometime, right? How long are you willing to wait? I beat the price hike for my 1080 Ti by less than 24 hours. I never did see the price at or anywhere near MSRP after that day. I don't know what I would do if I were looking to buy in these days.

ryzenlover2017

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Honestly... Hold onto your GTX 970 or sell it and buy a 1060. Prices will probably just keep going up until the end of the year. You need to think about if it's a need or a want... Is a 1000 dollars worth a slightly better looking game, because that's honestly a personal decision.