[SOLVED] Should I upgrade to a new system for non-gaming?

Markusallen

Prominent
Oct 13, 2021
I currently have an intel Skull Canyon system with specs below. I also have a 250GB SSD with my OS and applications and another 500GB SSD for documents, files, etc. It's not uncommon for me to use +20GB of RAM as indicated below and i intermittently see CPU spiking around 100%. I mostly use Quicken, large excel spreadsheets, Chief Architect software, GIMP, and 20+ MS Edge tabs open at any given time.
System
MotherboardIntel NUC6i7KYB
Memory20.6 GB free of 32 GB @ 2.1 GHz
Display3440 x 1440 - 32 Bit colors
OSWindows 10

I would like to be able to run Windows 11 and get a display 5120x1440 as well as have better performance and responsiveness.

I was looking at upgrading to an intel 11700k, MSI MEG Z590i Unify mini-itx, 32GB, 4th Gen 1-2TB SSD, NZXT H1 case (already purchased) to be able to do these things, using the onboard UDH750 for graphics which seems to support the higher resolution monitor with displayport (with option to add standalone GPU as prices come back to normal) . As I started looking at the specs of the build though, I'm starting to wonder if i'll actually see any improvement in performance or will I just be throwing money away.

Is there any way to predict whether performance for what I use my pc will be noticeably improved or does anyone have an opinion based on experience if I should bother?

BTW. I get a message "excel ran out of resources while attempting to calculate one or more formulas.

Thanks,

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Going from a laptop processor to a full desktop processor is quite a leap. Effectively buying everything new though, so in that regard it is expensive.

12th gen is just around the corner, probably worth waiting to see if the 12700k is worth it, DDR5 as well if you want it.

Still, graphics wise the HD750 is a decent improvement, but you can get that with an i5-11500, still going to be six cores to your current four.

You can easily get 3200 or even 3600memory vs the 2133 you seem to have now.

Not sure I see the value in a Z class board and the K series CPU, unless you plan overclocking. Otherwise a locked processor with the power limit relaxed or removed is almost as good. 11th gen chips run extremely hot when taxed, so a very large cooler is advisable either way.

If you are displeased with the experience today, certainly worth an upgrade. The better cooling alone is going to make a huge difference in sustained performance.

Take a look at the Beast Canyon NUC for an interesting low volume alternative. That you can plug a GPU into, they even sell some.

Markusallen

Prominent
Oct 13, 2021
Going from a laptop processor to a full desktop processor is quite a leap. Effectively buying everything new though, so in that regard it is expensive.

12th gen is just around the corner, probably worth waiting to see if the 12700k is worth it, DDR5 as well if you want it.

Still, graphics wise the HD750 is a decent improvement, but you can get that with an i5-11500, still going to be six cores to your current four.

You can easily get 3200 or even 3600memory vs the 2133 you seem to have now.

Not sure I see the value in a Z class board and the K series CPU, unless you plan overclocking. Otherwise a locked processor with the power limit relaxed or removed is almost as good. 11th gen chips run extremely hot when taxed, so a very large cooler is advisable either way.

If you are displeased with the experience today, certainly worth an upgrade. The better cooling alone is going to make a huge difference in sustained performance.

Take a look at the Beast Canyon NUC for an interesting low volume alternative. That you can plug a GPU into, they even sell some.

Those are good points. I looked at the Beast Canyon but way more expensive than what I can build with better components and footprint. I also can't find one anywhere that isn't backordered.