Should I upgrade to Nvidia's new RTX cards?

Hammahness

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
I just saw Nvidia's presentation of their new upcoming flagship cards and I was wondering if I should upgrade my current graphics card to the upcoming RTX 2080 (Not the Ti version). Right now I currently own a GTX 1080 which I know is already a very powerful card and is still pretty recent but I own an ASUS PB287Q and play all my games at 4k 60 fps or as close as I can get to that while at the same time having my settings satisfactory enough. Do you think buying a RTX 2080 will provide a worthy performance boost and be more future proof for 4k gaming or should I just stick with the 1080 for a little more while before upgrading?

Computer Specs

i7-6800k @ 3.4 Ghz w/ Corsair Liquid Cooler Hydro H60 120mm
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Gigabyte x99 SLI Mobo
16 GB 3200mhz Corsair Ram
500 GB SSD
EVGA 850W GQ 80+ Gold Power Supply
Enthoo Pro mid ATX Case

Solution
Obviously wait for review first. Though i imagine by time reviews already coming out the card will be harder to get and price will be inflated as well. I heard some people that pre-order 2080ti will not going to get theirs until november. Either the level of pre-order are really that crazy or nvidia simply severely limiting the amount RTX they intend to sell this year for obvious reason.

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018

Depend on what games, you should check your games from vendors, extremebench.com got some games covered, for now, I'd stick to 1080.

The future of RTX should be bright on VR and AR, as microsoft also maturing their DXR.

In my own experience while playing on highest setting preset, I didn't pay much attention on graphic detail, maybe other need fully immersed graphic detail so RTX would be their dream come true.

Obviously wait for review first. Though i imagine by time reviews already coming out the card will be harder to get and price will be inflated as well. I heard some people that pre-order 2080ti will not going to get theirs until november. Either the level of pre-order are really that crazy or nvidia simply severely limiting the amount RTX they intend to sell this year for obvious reason.

Solution