Should I upgrade to Ryzen 2 Zen+?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhm... Let's see...

* 486DX1: 1993-1998
* Pentium II 400: 1998-2003
* Pentium III 850 (OC'ed to ~980): 2003-2006
* Athlon64 X2 4200+ (Toledo): 2006-2010
* Phenom II 965BE rev.C: 2010-2012
* Core i7 2700K: 2012-today

I don't know... It sounds like AMD deserves another chance :p

Cheers!

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

Perhaps if you're not on 1080p. But if you're on 1440p or higher. Ryzen 7 2700x is a good idea.
SWPR0ty.png

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Once I get the money $$$!!! But if I was a millionaire/billionaire, I'd get the highest-end; currently either i9 or Xeon Platinum.

The survey is biased.
First question is - Do you want to upgrade?
If you are happy with your system, why would you even want to answer the survey?
If you are not happy with your system and you want to upgrade the question should follow about which CPU they want to upgrade to.
This is a very misleading Survey.

How can the survey be "biased" or "misleading" in any way here? Biased against what? Misleading to whom? They are looking for statistics. Asking the question yields a percentage of those wanting to upgrade or not. Do you not see that as useful data? What else do you find useless and misleading in this survey? And regarding your idea of a follow up question should have been about what CPU to upgrade to, did you miss the title of the survey "Should I upgrade to Ryzen 2 Zen+?" Basic logic says this is not a survey for Intel chip owners who plan on upgrading to another Intel chip.

I found it very interesting similar to Steam's hardware survey on who owns newer hardware and who is still using older hardware from both AMD and Intel chipsets. As I stated previously, nearly half the respondents own pre-Kaby Lake 6th-generation Intel CPUs. That is extremely useful information by itself - if for anyone useful for Intel in that they need to understand why people are still hanging on to three, four, and five generation back chipsets. No offense intended, but I take it your career is not in the marketing business.

I'm happy with my system and I answered the survey.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I'm a 1440p gamer. I'm satisfied with my i7 7700K at present. I don't foresee a need to upgrade until I can become a 2880p gamer on one graphics card. I may or may not need to upgrade at that time. I've never seriously considered any of the X boards and CPU's. Too cheap. I'll revisit a higher core count and a higher end board if it becomes necessary. Until then, nothing to see here.

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

1440p is becoming the new gaming standard resolution in my opinion. 1080p is going obsolete whether gamers want to admit that as being true or not. 1080p benchmarks on high end hardware such as the 1080 TI/8700k/R7 2700x no longer determine anything in my opinion and are utterly useless.

1440p and 4k force the GPU to become the bottleneck in games making it a wise decision to opt for CPU's that offer higher core counts and higher threads counts for productivity. 7700k on 1440p won't be obsolete for a very long time. Enjoy the chip while you can. For at-least the next 5-6 years.

I'm giving AMD the benefit of the doubt this gen. After reading all benchmarks and their updates, I'll give the 2700X a chance. Plus, I can say I moved from a 2700K to a 2700X and leave people wondering!

Cheers! :p

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

That's a very good decision to make. If I was 2nd Gen i7, I would too.

FD2Raptor

Admirable

Ok. Currently, building my Ryzen 2600x/X470 now.

Ezilkannan

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I've been waiting so long for AMD to come up with a processor that has decent IPC, alas, Zen+ is a disappointment in that regard. It's a shame though, I have been wanting to make the switch to Ryzen if only AMD pumped their IPC. I'm gonna have to wait for the next Intel chip. Its going to be more expensive, but what choice do I got? sigh...
P.S: I'm on a 2500K at the moment and it has begun to show its age.

FD2Raptor

Admirable

If you think a 4Ghz Ryzen 5 2600x slightly edge out an i7 4770k in single core is still "behind in IPC", then I suppose you're right:

randomizer

Champion

I wouldn't be doing a victory march after just beating a 5 year old chip.

Zen v1.5 using GloFo's 12nm is still behind Intel's Covfefe/Kaby Lake 14nm/+ in IPC and raw clock speed, yes. It balances that deficiency with more cores that come in handy for other things that don't depend in low thread performance. In terms of value, it is well positioned against Intel.

If you're looking for low threaded performance, then go Intel and be happy. If you're looking for a good all-rounder, AMD has a really compelling option now. I think that is the best summary I can come up with.

The shoe gets tight in different places for everyone, so...

Cheers!

You really shouldn't be so hung up on "pure" IPC numbers. What is important is how well the particular CPU runs the programs\games you are using.
It would be like saying car A does 127 mph and car B only does 123 mph. They both still get you there fast.

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

But if you're not first place, then you're considered a loser.

LOL.

Troll much?

It is a shame, isn't it?
It ignores the upside of AMD products - like competition...real good competition.
Anybody doubt the fact that Intel would not have released a 18-core CPU if AMD hadn't done their 16-core first?

And Threadripper sounds way cooler than i9-7980XE.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
car a may do 127mph in a straight line, while car b only does 123, but when it comes to cornering, car b is more agile and can handle the turns at higher speeds. they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but are still very good choices

Lumpus

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Since I'm running an old i5-2500k too, the 2600x looks like a big improvement and not badly situated on the price/performance graphs

Status
Not open for further replies.