Question should i use push or pull config for 120 aio on rear side of case

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Push/Pull doesn't matter ... flow direction is more important. It's best to exhaust (flow outward) all internal case air with a sufficient opening/vent at the bottom of the case where air will be sucked in from (this will be the coolest location as heat rises).

In the diagram above, that is not optimal cooling and is uneven flow.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
uc

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My diagram is NOT a negative pressure case ... please review and notice the large vent area at the bottom of the case. A large inlet vent with mesh will not introduce negative pressure.

Of course your case design will contribute to how you want to operate your fans ... unfortunately the OP didn't show where or if there are any other air inlet locations. But the scenario I've presented would be optimal for cooling efficiency if the case supports it and is not constricted with carpet or anything else blocking the bottom inlet.

The coolest air in any home environment will always be the lowest point, can't escape physics of heat rises.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't help if the OP doesn't disclose what their case is. That matters much more than they probably think - that diagram of theirs is just that, a diagram.

@V8VENOM
Was the vent needed to show it was an intake? So the the other 3 aren't vented then, or are restricted by glass, since you didn't put a vent next to them? It looks like the bottom can't breathe; are there no feet at the bottom of the case, so it just sits on a flat surface?
It's just a diagram though, and I get what you were going for now, but someone else might misunderstand.

Unfortunate that cases with that kind of design are few. The O11 Dynamic could pull it off, but with some cpu + gpu combos, the cpu might be in a tight spot.
Many seem to be all about filling every option space in their PCs with fans and thus prioritizing airBLOW over airFLOW. You can see it pretty often.

"can't escape the physics of heat rising."
Fans screw with it all the time. Once the heated air is out of a fan's kinesis, or range, then it rises.
If a candle is lit in front of standard PC, the heated air doesn't rise - it gets pulled horizontally and into the case, and is at the mercy of how the other fans are set up inside said case, until it gets outside it, and then gets to rise.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Read the paperwork for the cooler to see if it states a preference.

I use mine in pull on the top of (011d mini) the case due to the use of an m-ITX board and the length of the cooler hoses. If I had a preference, I would set for push on the intake side of the case but can't with current configuration.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
@Phaaze88 True, I should have been more specific/clear in my diagram. Those fans exhausting air will have open mesh or even no mesh pending case design. But as we both agree, need to know the case design before the best cooling recommendation can be made to best help the OP.

Heat rising is both internal and external environmental ... for example our home is two story and the upper story is 2-3 degrees F warmer ambient than the lower -- the lowest possible intake point for air will be the coolest point in the environment.

Motherboard, chipset, RAM etc. will generate heat and it will naturally rise ... the less turbulent air you have inside the case the better. Pulling hot air out of a case produces much less turbulence inside a case than pushing air into the case where components in the case will interfere with flow.

So whenever possible (case design pending) always pull hot air out of case and never push air into a case.