[SOLVED] Should I wait to upgrade my CPU and mobo?

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Do you guys think I should upgrade now or wait until AMD releases their 4th gen CPU this year or get something now?

I've heard tech channels like LTT and JTC & others say you should upgrade now if you plan on upgrading. I'm only upgrading my CPU and mobo. I have an i5 9600k with a CM Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Ryzen R9 3900X and a X570 mobo. I haven't decided on which one I'll get, but I won't get a mobo that cost less than $150.

I want to get whatever the equivalent will be to the R9 3900x, maybe a 4900x and a Zen 3 mobo, but if they won't be available until next year or later next year, then I'll get it now when that stimulus check comes in.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
You can wait until you hear information about new CPU but to be honest most CPU that are strong can play normal everyday games in good performance with the right components in your computer there always going to be new things coming out every year thats better but sometimes its an overkill and system wont use that much but it always good to have good cpu but if your not in hurry then wait for more information.

Because you might be spending more on the new cpu because you might need new cooler because your current cooler cant handle the heat on new CPU and new motherboard because its an brand new CPU and not compatabile with your mb now!
I'd wait to see if the world is still here in a year. Companies are getting hit hard and consumers are too. People might be dumping parts soon to have cash for food so I'd watch for parts fire sales. Sad state of affairs in the world right now thanks to china government.

You can wait until you hear information about new CPU but to be honest most CPU that are strong can play normal everyday games in good performance with the right components in your computer there always going to be new things coming out every year thats better but sometimes its an overkill and system wont use that much but it always good to have good cpu but if your not in hurry then wait for more information.

Because you might be spending more on the new cpu because you might need new cooler because your current cooler cant handle the heat on new CPU and new motherboard because its an brand new CPU and not compatabile with your mb now!

Solution

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I'd wait to see if the world is still here in a year. Companies are getting hit hard and consumers are too. People might be dumping parts soon to have cash for food so I'd watch for parts fire sales. Sad state of affairs in the world right now thanks to china government.
Heh, yeah, no kidding. That's a good point. I didn't think of that. If I could choose between a R9 3900x for $200 than a $4900x for $500, I'll pick the 3900x.

Also a good point, thanks! Speaking of the cooler, what would you suggest? I'm looking at an air cooler no more than $100. I've been looking at the Noctua NH-U12A for $100, the Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler for $88 (since an AM4 socket upgrade costs $13) and the Noctua NH-U12S for $60. Of course, the Noctua NH-U12A will be the best one out of the 3 followed by the Cryorig and then the NH-U12S is the cheapest. Do you have an opinion on these and/or recommend something better, perhaps? I'm looking for an HSF that will fit over normal size DIMM modules. This also needs to fit inside my CM HAF 912 case too, so it can only be so big.