[SOLVED] Should my paging file constantly be at 8% usage?

JamesC01

Prominent
Mar 7, 2022
I used performance monitor to look at the paging file usage, and it's constantly at 8% usage, despite my computer having 16gb RAM, and only using about 40% of it right now. What could be causing this? Is it normal? I'm getting an SSD tomorrow, and I'm worried that constant usage of the page file on it will degrade it over time.

Solution
Wait, never mind. I believe the pagefile "usage%" is not how much it's currently being written to/read from, but just how much percent of the maximum page file size is being used. It might be storage some smaller programs just because it can. I'm not completely sure, though.
Right.
Just leave it alone, and don't worry about it, at all.

JamesC01

Prominent
Mar 7, 2022
What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Speaking of motherboard's, make and model of said motherboard?

Version: 21H1
OS build: 19043.1526

Not sure of BIOS version, and I'm not sure if that would help. Motherboard: MSI B350 tomahawk

JamesC01

Prominent
Mar 7, 2022
Wait, never mind. I believe the pagefile "usage%" is not how much it's currently being written to/read from, but just how much percent of the maximum page file size is being used. It might be storage some smaller programs just because it can. I'm not completely sure, though.

USAFRet

Titan
Yep, just the default. Is degradation nothing to worry about even for smaller SSDs (500GB)?
Absolutely nothing to worry about.
And "500GB" is not 'smaller SSD'....;)

Wearing out from too many write cycles was a concern with the very first, very small SSD. 32GB/64GB.
Since then, the firmware has been changed, and drives are larger....
But the myth persists.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
Just leave it alone, and don't worry about it, at all.

Solution