[SOLVED] Should we download chipset driver from MSI or AMD ?

Aug 13, 2019
Hello i already ask this in system section but received no reply, maybe because i ask in the wrong section,

i just check my msi dragon center earlier, it show that i have the latest msi chipset driver which is 19.10.16
but when i check amd site the latest one is 1.8.19.0915, totally different name, im still new to pc, i wanna ask should i download the from AMD too ? because the release date is 8/9/2019 while the msi one is 1/7/2019. If i downloaded both of them are there gonna be any conflict or problem. Im really need answer for this, ty so much !

Solution
Yes. It doesn't matter if you installed ten previous versions. Whatever version you install NOW, will be what get used. Chipset drivers get updated all the time without any problems. In fact, it's highly recommended that you keep them up to date if a newer version is released.
Aug 13, 2019
Aug 13, 2019
Yes. It doesn't matter if you installed ten previous versions. Whatever version you install NOW, will be what get used. Chipset drivers get updated all the time without any problems. In fact, it's highly recommended that you keep them up to date if a newer version is released.

oke2 ty very much darkbreeze, this is really helpful to me ! :)

Aug 13, 2019
already install it, which plan should i use? and why my peak speed always 4.2mhz ?

AMD. ONLY.
I totally agree: use chipset, CPU and even GPU drivers downloaded from AMD or Intel's site only. They will be the source of latest drivers and since these can be frequently updated (especially graphics drivers) it's best to get them from the source.

For things like Audio and Network drivers I'd get from the motherboard mfr. though. At least in my case, the motherboard MFR gives me a better control panel for audio and the LAN chip has BIOS revision level that the driver looks for.

Always first install the drivers from your mother board manufacturer because that driver might make some changes in setting that are relevant for that specific board. But then directly go and download and install the latest AMD drivers that most often will be more current.

No. Any "changes" made by the manufacturer specific chipset drivers will be overwritten by whatever AMD or Intel have designated in their release. It's like putting a white short sleeve shirt on under a black long sleeve shirt. It's pointless.

As mentioned, other drivers that are board model specific such as audio, network adapter or in some cases 3rd party storage controller drivers, should be downloaded from the motherboard product page. Chipset drivers, if possible, should come from AMD or Intel depending on the platform you have. In some cases, like with Intel Z390, they don't offer them on their website and you HAVE to get them from the board manufacturer. In that case, then that is what you do. Otherwise, you get them from the source, who is giving them to the board manufacturer anyhow.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
No. Any "changes" made by the manufacturer specific chipset drivers will be overwritten by whatever AMD or Intel have designated in their release. It's like putting a white short sleeve shirt on under a black long sleeve shirt. It's pointless.

As mentioned, other drivers that are board model specific such as audio, network adapter or in some cases 3rd party storage controller drivers, should be downloaded from the motherboard product page. Chipset drivers, if possible, should come from AMD or Intel depending on the platform you have. In some cases, like with Intel Z390, they don't offer them on their website and you HAVE to get them from the board manufacturer. In that case, then that is what you do. Otherwise, you get them from the source, who is giving them to the board manufacturer anyhow.

That did not come out the way I was thinking about it, I see now that I was sloppy with my wording (I guess my excuse is insomnia LOL) :D What I meant was not to do a double install of the full driver for the motherboard (because as you said that is just redundant) but to install the other drivers specific for that mother board such as LAN, WiFi/BT, sound drivers etc and then install the AMD drivers from AMD for the actual chip set.

I am glad to clarify this now!

TRENDING THREADS