Should we wait for ICELAKE processor

PUNITHML

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/29/intel-canno...

the above link has given a new twist on the trust i had on the intel chip. Almost i had been out to buy , but in a corner of my mind i had this dark thought of what will happen if a ransomware might attack my cpu.
I am totally confused on two aspects : whether to buy now ? or wait for an year to see if the spectre-meltdown issue is eradicated from the chip level & buy Icelake processor?

I had almost bought out an I-5 8600k, but waiting for some sense to proceed further

Solution
Before meltdown or spectre can be used on your PC, your PC must already be affected by some form of unrelated remote execution vulnerability or trojan/virus/malware that enables code containing meltdown/spectre to get on your PC in the first place - spectre/meltdown can't harm your system when malware containing it can't get on your system, same goes for any other malware. Also, ransomware has been around since long before Spectre/Meltdown were discovered and doesn't make ransomware any easier to develop, so getting a CPU without meltdown/spectre isn't going to make you any more safe from malware in general.

InvalidError

Titan
Before meltdown or spectre can be used on your PC, your PC must already be affected by some form of unrelated remote execution vulnerability or trojan/virus/malware that enables code containing meltdown/spectre to get on your PC in the first place - spectre/meltdown can't harm your system when malware containing it can't get on your system, same goes for any other malware. Also, ransomware has been around since long before Spectre/Meltdown were discovered and doesn't make ransomware any easier to develop, so getting a CPU without meltdown/spectre isn't going to make you any more safe from malware in general.

Solution