Should you Partition , or not?

RCPilot

Champion
I've never had a HDD partitioned on 3 computers. I have ran 2, 10 gigs, master/slave, because it was cheaper at the time than buying 1, 20 gig.

I now have a 40 gig ata 100 & a friend of mine is saying that I'm losing out by not being partitioned.

1 gig Tbird
ASUS a7v
40 gig WD HDD 7200 ata 100
256 pc133 ram
Geforce Ultra

My question is what is the correct thought on this? If you have some links on this, I would like to know. Always ready to learn.

Thanks,

RCpilot

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
By partitioning, one thing that you may be "losing out" on is smaller cluster sizes, resulting in less wasted space.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not have links but I know with partitions you are on a safe side because when Windows or whatever becomes unbootable, you still have your critical data on the other drive, while safely formatting the Windows drive. It reduces the fragementation by organizing different partitions for different purposes too.

------------------
This site is cool.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
In my own experience with my 20 GB HDD,having two partitions gives you three major benefits:

1.Peace of Mind about critical data
2.Being able to dual-boot Win2000 and WinME(or any others)
3.Depending on the partitions' sizes less wasted space because of lower cluster sizes<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 04/01/01 06:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yes Yes Yes

partitioning is great

speeds up your drive for 1 -!
and...

you can use the second drive as backups etc..

if windows ever crashes you can format C and still have ur important info backed up on the second partition

i love partitioning =))- dont know if i spelled that correctly but.. o well

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

With larger hard drives today, modest partitioning for various reasons never hurt anybody. And maybe I misread Arrow's post, but partitioning can invite smaller cluster sizes.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
However I am clear that NTFS supports different cluster sizes regardless of partition size. When XP finally takes over and FAT becomes a thing of yesterday, the benefit of partitioning for smaller cluster size would be gone. But still, we need partitioning.

-------------
This site is cool.

G

partition yes

NTFS no

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--