shouldn't I be getting sound through my HDMI cable?

Pete_123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
I've just completed building my pc and everything is running ship shape but the only problem is that I'm getting no sound. I've yet to purchase actual computer monitors or speakers so I'm using my tv in my room for the time being connected with an HDMI cable that I know works. It supports sound just fine through my xbox and such but not through my pc and thought that my graphics card or motherboard supported sound? I'm new to computers so if anybody could offer any hints I would really appreciate it.

Solution
Specs? Are all the drivers installed? Also, check that the HDMI output is selected as the default device under sound in the control panel. Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and select "playback devices." If the HDMI monitor isn't the selected device make it the default.

Blaise170

Honorable
You are correct, in that HDMI has audio support. I have two suggestions:

1) Make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your GPU.
2) Make sure that the HDMI device is enabled in your sound panel. You can do this by right clicking the volume icon, selecting "Playback Devices", and looking for your HDMI adapter. Right click to enable it if it is not already.

Specs? Are all the drivers installed? Also, check that the HDMI output is selected as the default device under sound in the control panel. Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and select "playback devices." If the HDMI monitor isn't the selected device make it the default.

Solution

Pete_123

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

thank you so much!!! It works just fine now, I really appreciate it!!

TRENDING THREADS