Show me the inside of the intel core 2 quad

helenmh2o

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Some of the hardware connections became dislodged (possibly broken) during a recent move. I just want to see a detailed picture of the inside of an Intel Core2 Quad desktop, so that I can compare my internal connections with an accurate model. I'm not very tech-literate, but I'm also broke and need to try to fix the connections myself. Thanks for any suggestions!

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Intel Core2Quad is a specific piece of hardware called the Central Processing Unit (CPU) inside of your computer. I take it, you are wanting to see pictures of the inside of your 'tower' or 'case' that is usually called by non-techies, the 'CPU'. Is that correct?

What brand of computer do you have and what is the model number of it? Is it like an HP, Dell or a custom built computer that has no name brand?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
core_2_quad_die_large.jpg

Tada, the inside of a C2Q:

There sure are lots of pretty colors inside one!! :)

helenmh2o

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Hi, Scott. Wow, ask and super Scott delivers, eh? I'm back and reluctantly going in for my quarterly (sadly apparent) attempt at making my pc usable again. I'm much more hopeful now that I have your pic! Though I really wish you were my neighbor, as I think someone with any computer sense would consider my computer's issue an easy problem to solve. You are obviously endowed with said sense, and I'm really grateful to you for sharing some of it with me. Now just wish me luck... or move in next door and expect a welcome basket with a favor request soon to follow. Thanks again, Nikki

InvalidError

Titan

Or just a bookmark to an article that had one of Intel's press kit die shots in it.

Since the CPUs are flip-chip dies, there is nothing visible worth seeing to the naked eye or even microscope under the head-spreader, everything is on the solder-side bottom, hidden under a few layers of power/ground distribution grids/planes.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

u noe those colors are most probably fake :) I really doubt that a high resolution microscope/cam can take color pics, most likely its artificial color, like how they do with IR images :)

InvalidError

Titan

They certainly can take color pictures but not necessarily in the conventional visible range, which would make them not any more fake than sped-up subsonic elephant/whale calls or slowed-down ultrasonic bat/dolphin sonar pings. A die shot the size of what was posted here is only something like a 50X optical zoom, well within the realm of conventional color imaging, not much of a problem there... we're not down to showing individual gate arrangements and transistor structures.

However, the neatly delimited pastel colors tell me this is almost certainly a synthesis floorplan where each color represents a particular functional block and the zone where its resources (transistors) should be located in.

You will need to find a manual for your motherboard to be able to tell if everything is plugged into where it needs to be. If you have a branded desktop (HP, Dell, etc.) you will want to find its service manual, which you can often get online. If you are in doubt, take it to your local PC repair shop and they will take a look and tell you what is going on.

InvalidError

Titan

A typical Core2Quad system is going to look a lot like any other ATX system anywhere from a P233MMX or K5 to an i7-3770k or A10-5800k.

They all follow the same general ATX guidelines and most connectors are keyed to only fit in one particular location and orientation. For the few connectors that may look identical but serve different functions (ex.: USB2 vs 1394a front-panel headers), the only ways to tell are to either look for hints on the PCB's silkscreen or read the manual since locations for minor items can vary considerably between vendors or even between product lines from the same vendor, rendering a picture from a 'typical' C2Q that does not use your specific motherboard nearly worthless. The only universal connector locations are the expansion slots (100% standard) and the ATX12V (4-pin or 8-pin connector near the upper-left corner), everything else varies a lot.

Looking at pictures might confuse you more than it helps unless you have a picture of your specific board, preferably one with overlay labels for all important connectors.