[SOLVED] Siege runs slower when using external monitor on laptop

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
I have a Dell G3, i was playing siege natively on my laptop and i got around 100 fps. But when i set my laptop up with a external monitor (usually how i use it) the game was capped at 30 FPS. i ran the benchmark just to make sure geforce wasn't wrong about the FPS and all the numbers were at 30. I did just update my drivers (bios and intel chipset) using dell support assistant cause it kept bugging me. Anyone got any fixes? thanks.

Solution
my monitor is a dell
S2319NX
and its using my one nvidia out hdmi port to the monitor

What is the GPU on your Dell G3 and the Chipset?

If you are using Nvidia GPU try to check the Nvidia Control Panel and look for the settings for Monitor that allows you to change the Hz of the screen, because for that software it allows you to change the Hz from 30 to 60, or better reset to default settings then check the Monitor or Display settings again if the Default Hz is 60 or 30.

Same thing with the Intel Control Panel.
Aug 18, 2019
my monitor is a dell
S2319NX
and its using my one nvidia out hdmi port to the monitor

If you are using Nvidia GPU try to check the Nvidia Control Panel and look for the settings for Monitor that allows you to change the Hz of the screen, because for that software it allows you to change the Hz from 30 to 60, or better reset to default settings then check the Monitor or Display settings again if the Default Hz is 60 or 30.

Solution

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018

Okay I’ll try that and let you know what happens, I have the i5 9300h, GTX 1660ti

rjcard32315

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
B
I did some reading and it may be that external HDMI port only utilizes be on board 630 GPU and not your 1050. I am still trying to confirm this. Monitoring software should give you a clue. If the 1050 is not getting warm, then it’s not being used.
I believe it has to be the game. I’ve used my hdmi out on other games today and I got around the same FPS as using my laptop screen but i noticed it’s a bit lower. It’s using my 1660ti but it’s like the frame rate is indeed a bit lower than just using the laptop screen?

B

I believe it has to be the game. I’ve used my hdmi out on other games today and I got around the same FPS as using my laptop screen but i noticed it’s a bit lower. It’s using my 1660ti but it’s like the frame rate is indeed a bit lower than just using the laptop screen?
1660ti ... You said that and I missed it. Yes, if it's just one game then I would agree it's likely something in game settings. Again, I would be looking for vsync setting if goes up to 30, but never hits 31.

Aug 18, 2019
B

Try playing different games and all see the difference and like Andrew said try to check your vsync but still my feeling it has to be on your Nvidia Control panel try to check out on it if it doesn't try to check the Laptop specs if the HDMI only supports 30hz or the Monitor try to check if it only support 30hz external display there are a lot of things you have to check.