Signal loss over long distance VGA? Quality cable needed?

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Just a few quick questions here sort of branching off from the other thread I started the other night about dual-dvi for two different monitors.

Just wondering does a really quality VGA cable matter? I'm thinking of hooking up an LCD TV to my card (currently R9700Pro, will upgrade if I need to) from a distance of about 25-30ft away. Now I did some searching, and they've got VGA cable @ 25ft length for $15, and what seems to be the same stuff, same length for $100 +

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36953422&vpn=F2N025-25&manufacture=BELKIN%20CABLES

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=06406522&vpn=A3H982-25&manufacture=BELKIN%20CABLES

(see: http://www.ncix.com/search/?quicksearch=25+vga&minprice=Min.+Price&maxprice=Max.+Price for full results @ ncix)

Is it really going to make a difference with VGA? Should I opt for a higher quality VGA cable, if so what should I look for?

And while on the subject, if someone could please confirm for me: any monitor hooked up through VGA will have a maximum allowed resolution of 1360x768?

Thanks guys 8)

Is it really going to make a difference with VGA?

Maybe, maybe not. It's tough to know for sure, the more external noise you have the worse it could be (some people are affected by anything over 4ft because of their environment and use), and being high res it's a little more sensitive

Should I opt for a higher quality VGA cable, if so what should I look for?

Well from the options you have there, I LOVE the fact that the cheap one isn't the one that says no returns, thus in my mind, what do you have to lose by testing it if you can return it, unlike the more expensive one which you're stuck with if even it's not good enough. Give it a try and if the cheaper one doesn't work then send it back to NCIX.

And while on the subject, if someone could please confirm for me: any monitor hooked up through VGA will have a maximum allowed resolution of 1360x768?

Nope, like I mentioned in the other thread, it's your monitor that is limiting it to 1366x768, the VGA/DB-15 connector/cable isn't limiting it as it goes well above single-link DVI and even dual link for resolution/refresh, the only issue is it's more suceptable to more kinds of interferance over longer distances.

BTW, what part of the country are you in, there are other/better option out ther than NCIX, although for that GF7600 AGP we were talking about, NCIX is likely to be first in Canada to get it if anyone does, as they are an nVidia launch partner, but be sure to check out other stores as well, like ShopRBC, CanadaComputers, Anitec, MemoryExpress, Dangeo, etc.

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
GreatApe to the rescue again :)

I'm in British Columbia, NCIX & Vibe are pretty much the main two Canadian online retailers I deal with, they are well trusted & reliable so I usually look there first. Although for something minuscule like a cable it wouldn't be a problem ordering it from anywhere (canadian stores just preferred of course).

I must've missed your comment on the monitor limiting the rez. I remember I bought this $4000 samsung 40" and the guy at future shop was saying to hook it up with VGA and it would be fine, so I gave it a try and it capped out at 1360x768. So I went back the next day and the guy's all like 'ohhhh it's the VGA cable that limits the resolution, you need DVI'. Guess I should've known better than to trust the word of one of those goofs :roll:

I'm actually thinking if I do this I'll probably get a R1600XT, this card seems like a great value @ $168 CAD and with 512MB onboard RAM and dual-dvi it should be more than adequate. However if this setup is truly gonna require every ounce of power I can get it may just be best to wait for that 7600GT.

I hadn't really factored in that a Dual-link DVI card is likely going to deliver a much clearer picture with a high-res 37" screen than the r9700 would. Now I've just gotta decide if it'd be best just to ditch my current two screens and focus a setup around the westy. I could do something where my computer was somewhere around the screen, and use a direct 2M DVI-D cable and it would be great, then trouble is I've got to set up my keys & mouse somewhere across the room and... yeah :?

Anyways I'll probably go pick up the Westy this weekend give VGA a try first, and see where I need to go from there. I'm hoping they sell 20+ ft VGA cables @ bestbuy, I sorta doubt it though.