Question Signs of a short circuit

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello, today I was trying to mount my AIO at the top panel where I had issues getting it to fit because a heatsink on the motherboard was in the way. I had to try to remove the fan tray next to the motherboard where the radiator originally was because my annoyingly long GPU prevented me from taking it out The tray was held in place my 3 screws. I was able to mount the radiator at the top but it’s kinda sideways and only held in place by 4 screws, one screw on one side, 3 on the other. Anyways, when I was done with everything, I realized that I’m missing 2 of the 3 screws that held the fan tray in place and I’m afraid that these screws are somewhere inside the case ( these screws are screwed in from the back panel side of the case and not the front) The pc booted just fine and I’m not experiencing any problems, but I’m afraid that they could be in there. I tried shaking the pc around and laying it flat on it’s face to see if I could hear anything rattling about or get the screws to drop if there is one in there, but I heard nothing. I just wanted to ask, is it possible for the pc to boot even if there is something in there shorting it and kinda degrade and get damaged over time, or are the symptoms always immediate? Does the fact that the pc is working now mean that the screws likely aren’t in there?

specs:
Corsair 5000x rgb case
Z690 aorus pro MB
I7 12700k
Rtx 3080
Corsair he 1200w
32gb ddr5

Last edited:
I don’t see how it would boot if short circuited. Although if there is a screw wedged in there. It could conceivably come loose at some point. Ruining the computer with a short. I don’t think I could sleep comfortably without tearing the computer down. Until I found the screw or was certain it isn’t in the case.

TRENDING THREADS