Silent, But Deadly: Build Your Own Gaming-Ready 0 dB PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I use Speedfan and my fans ramp up just exactly the way I want. During serious gaming the whine from the six 4" ducted fans is absolutely thrilling. Watching the whole PC float in the air as it's held down by four cable tethers which are hilt-bolt anchored to the concrete floor is awesome. OK, I'm kidding of course, but extreme radical fannage has sort of an appeal. My fans let me know how hard the system is working which I kind of enjoy.

allan_hm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I feel it's missing a temp chart after installing the NB fan.
For casual gaming it's good enough, but for those hardcore gamers, the only way to go for a almost silent system is by adopting watercooling.
I have a Koolance build for around 4 years and now the only thing producing noise is the RP-1000 pump.
Next upgrade I'll go for a complete DIY, no more reservoir + pump kits...

jbheller

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
The time and effort and extra cost to make a completely silent computer is something I will probably never both with. Ambient temperatures in Central Australia in summer will probably result in component failures anyway.

I am happy with my build in a bitfenix prodigy case. Fans are under volted, ambient temp inside the case never exceeds 65 degree C, and the case is so close to silent i never notice it.

PCI-e 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-e 2.0 and was designed so you can insert a PCI-e 3.0 card in a 2.0 system and have it work. The difference between the PCI-e 3.0 and PCI-e 2.0 is the amount of information that can travel over each PCI-e lane.

FreeBird2k

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

Ah ok, thought it was otherway around. Same idea with HDD/SSD Sata 3Gb and 6Gb but only get data transfer speed from mobo spec.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.