[SOLVED] Silverstone fan hub not lowering or detecting speed of CPU fan

Jan 27, 2021
Specs
Intel i5-3340
8gb RAM
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950
PSU: EVGA 500B
MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WDNNHRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(has no name afaik so posting this link)
Fan: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-LGA115...atsink+++Fan+E97379-003&qid=1611791267&sr=8-3
Fan hub: SilverStone Technology Silverstone 8-Port PWM Fan Hub/Splitter for 4-Pin & 3-Pin Fans in Black SST-CPF04-USA (Newest Version)

So i have an issue where my MOBO does not support changing the fan speed so I figured the way I could fix this would be to get a fan controller. However, it does not seem to be working. I tried plugging the fan into different slots of the hub, tried a few programs, and looked in the bios to see if there were any possible options I needed to change. None of the programs detected the fans or anything and there doesn't seem to be an evident way to figure out why it isn't working. I plugged the hub into the port that the CPU fan previously was in, which is 4 pins. It definitely has power and everything, there just isn't any ability to change the fan speed from what I see.
Any suggestions? thank you.

Solution
The Silverstone box you got is NOT a fan controller. It is a fan HUB. It can do no control by itself. It can only take a PWM control signal from a mobo CPU_FAN header and relay that to 4-pin PWM-style fans. Without any control from the mobo, the Hub can do nothing more.

One can buy third-party Fan Controllers that mount into a front case bay, BUT almost always they are intended to control the CASE ventilation fans, because they depend on YOU to decide (correctly) exactly how fast to run the case fans to keep the sytem cooled adequately. Almost NOBODY uses such a control system for the CPU cooler. The CPU is so important, and so expensive to replace, that its cooler always should be contolled (and monitored for failure, on many boards)...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Silverstone box you got is NOT a fan controller. It is a fan HUB. It can do no control by itself. It can only take a PWM control signal from a mobo CPU_FAN header and relay that to 4-pin PWM-style fans. Without any control from the mobo, the Hub can do nothing more.

One can buy third-party Fan Controllers that mount into a front case bay, BUT almost always they are intended to control the CASE ventilation fans, because they depend on YOU to decide (correctly) exactly how fast to run the case fans to keep the sytem cooled adequately. Almost NOBODY uses such a control system for the CPU cooler. The CPU is so important, and so expensive to replace, that its cooler always should be contolled (and monitored for failure, on many boards) by the CPU_FAN header, and not by a person who might do it wrong. IF your CPU_FAN header does NOT control its cooling fan speed, your best option is to leave it running full speed all the time. Too much cooling will ever damage the CPU.

Solution