SilverStone ML08 Mini ITX Slim Case Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Not sure if they added this after your comment but, they mentioned they could not fit the NH-L12 and had to swap it for the Reeven RC1001 Brontes.

cmiconi

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Indeed, I mentioned it in the text "Today’s review is based upon the same Mini-ITX reference platform as past reviews, except that our usual CPU cooler was too tall for this case. We swapped it out for the Reeven RC1001 Brontes, which is a close match in terms of thermal and noise performance."

Though it seems I missed the reference to the NH-L12 in the parts table. We'll get that fixed here shortly.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
WAY to wide to fit in the tight computer desk spaces I'm looking at. Seems a bit complex in lay out as well. using a riser card for the dual graphics slot? That's just adding another point of potential failure and complexity.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
this competes well with compact designs of ASUS or Gigabyte. I will choose this as I have the desire to build and the challenge to add an elegant solution for the exhaust fan.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Riser cards aren't exactly a real common place to have failures....if you've ever worked with 1U rack servers before they ALL have riser cards for RAID controllers and such.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

same with 2U servers as well.

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Now I'd just like to see this with a perforated plexiglass window over the GPU so I can sit it on my desk horizontally and still see dat beautiful ACX 3.0 glow

jdLordHelmet

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I recently built a PC with this case and I really liked it, except getting in and out of it is a bit of a pain. The way the side panels slide onto it takes some adjusting to line up right because each side panel wraps around two sides (top/bottom) and part of a 3rd side. You also have to remove the optional handle to open the case because it screws through the top panel (which wraps around from the side as mentioned previously).

It is pretty cool seeing how thin it is while containing a full size video card (turned sideways, parallel to the motherboard).

RenRen_1

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I Have been waiting for this but sad to my readig not what i like :(
Its a great case overall no doubt
I was just waiting for a review of this because i have been searching for a case that supports a 13 inch graphic card with 2 slots and a half support but i favor small cases sadly this is the only card i ended up with does anyone have any suggestions? It actually fits in the FTZ01 which is my last resort bevuase the only way to fit it in there is by water cooling the frame of the card fits but hhave to wiggle alloooott

Ryan_257

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I bought this case to replace my Raven RVZ-01. This case has a terrible build quality. The power button is a very heavy micro-switch and feels really cheap. The side panels are super thin and if you were to drop on it would surely bend. I returned it and put my components back into the Raven.

I currently have a Raven RVZ01, and while it's a fairly small case, it is, like the others, fairly shoddily built.

Anyone who happens to read this and is interested in a SFF case like this, I STRONGLY reccommend taking a look at the Dr. Zaber Sentry.

It just finished two and a half years of prototyping in conjunction with the SFF community, and launched on indigogo, where they made their minimum goal in 12 minutes and, three days later, are sitting at 700% backed.

It's 3 liters smaller than Silverstone's offerings, it's made of 1mm thick steel (and no plastic whatsoever), it's designed to be extemely easy to build in (the entire top gets removed to insert the GPU, and then secures it in place), and its minimalistic, industrial aesthetic puts any other case to shame.

Tom's Hardware, I would sorely love to see a review on this case; between the Sentry, the Ncase M1, and the Dan A4, there's an entire lineup of premium small form factor cases that blow commercial offerings out of the water.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Hmm.. an interesting case (Sentry). I wonder how it compares to the Fractal Design Node 202? I will have to keep an eye on it. I have the RVZ01 myself and it hasn't been a bad case once you get it setup.

HavocX

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I have built two VR systems in this case and over all I like it. It is a bit fiddly to open and close, but considering the size it is quite easy to install the components. In my case the carrying handle was a big plus, as I needed portability.

If I was to build today I would strongly consider the Dr. Zaber Sentry. It seems very nice, but at that cost it should be!

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
@Lunyone, @HavocX:
I look at it this way (full disclosure: I backed the A4 - should be arriving shortly): components are only getting more efficient (in terms of power efficiency, volume and price) as a function of time.

The only component that doesn't need to change (or not anywhere nearly as often) is the case. So it can be argued that the case is worthy of being looked at as a long-term investment.

You can think that way, which most people might, but I prefer to get an affordable case for my needs. Your needs can and will be more than likely be different than mine, so it is subjective. If you like nice cases and don't mind the cost of the case that is your option. I just like to point out that not everyone will purchase an expensive case, which is also subjective.

I also think its wise to purchase a nice case that you can reuse, up to now however I have never done that. It seems that when ever I build a computer the case is the last thing I want to spend money on.

Anyhow I also think you should spend extra money to get a quality PSU for a new build because like the case it is one component that does not need changed often IF you get a quality unit.

With that said, what SFX and SFX-L power supplies are high enough quality right now to be considered long term > 7 year investments?

Silverstone has a number of decent SFX and SFX-L PSUs. Anecdotally, I've been running a SG05 w/450W SFX PSU for a number of years now w/o any problems.

bloodroses

Distinguished

I've never had a problem with the same Silverstone 450w sfx power supply on my almost 3yr old RVZ01 case + OC'd i5 Haswell either. Definitely recommended if the wattage is sufficient for your needs.

Richard Laws

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Why do they have to make these things so ugly? :-( It looks like a 90s-era transformer!

There is a complete lack of decent looking HTPC/Slim cases in the market. The closest thing is the Node 202, which is too expensive and contains a big GPU portion, useless if you are making something relying only on the iGPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS