Question SilverStone ST 45SF-G PSU.

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Reduces ripple. It's somewhat common to have caps in cables.

Thanks for the reply.

Strange. I've not come across caps in cables before. I've mostly used CoolerMaster 500 to 800W models that come with ribbon cables, however.

This is the first time I've bought an 450W SFX budget PSU and seen a cap in the cable. Judging by the online discussion about them, it is as you say, common.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume this is the highest efficiency (80+ rating) you've owned?
It's not common in lower quality PSUs. Once you get into 80+ Gold, companies are competing against each other on a higher level where reducing that extra bit of ripple is significant.

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Is it safe to assume this is the highest efficiency (80+ rating) you've owned?
It's not common in lower quality PSUs. Once you get into 80+ Gold, companies are competing against each other on a higher level where reducing that extra bit of ripple is significant.

That's correct. All the models I've owned so far are 80 Plus Gold and this Silverstone model is the first I've seen with a cap.

(It surprised me a bit to see the 80 Plus Gold rating on such a budget PSU. The only reason I bought it was because it was the smallest, lowest power, fully-modular model I could find just to run a mini-ATX board I was fooling around with. I assumed gamers and those for whom ripple specs are significant would need much higher rated PSUs to power those big graphics cards and the like).

Last edited: