Simple To Primary Volume

Jamboozlez

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello,

Recently I tried creating a new volume on my primary hard drive to install the release preview of Windows 8. Without realising the problems I was about to cause, I click OK on the warning telling me that my disk was about to be converted to the dynamic file type. When dual-booting my Windows 8 and going through the setup I was asked which volume to install the OS to. Trying to click my new volume returned an error about it not being able to as it was the dynamic file type.

What I need to do now is try and find out how to convert my C drive back to a primary partition and Windows 8 Drive to basic.

Extra Notes: I'm using Windows 7 and the C Drive is where it is installed. Also, the SYSTEM partition is now Dynamicbut the Recovery Partition is still Basic. System, C & D have been converted to the yellow colour and say Simple, but the Recovery partition is blue with Primary. Here is a picture of my current disk setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1qdg8i6xyln3k8/disks.png

Jamboozlez

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Sorry, But what do you mean?

Jamboozlez

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I'm downloading the software and I'll let you know how it goes ;)

If your partition tool doesn't work, I propose to edit the partition table in sector 0. Dynamic volumes have partition IDs of 0x42 whereas basic volumes use 0x07 for NTFS. I suspect that the most you would need to do would be to change a few bytes. It's not as daunting as it sounds. In fact DMDE may be able to do it with only a few clicks.