Single beep, but pc isnt starting.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hi, i cant start my pc.
It gives single beep but dsnt boot up.
Heres wat i'v already tried,
I'v removed gcard n tried with internal video card, same prob,

I'v tried removing battery n resetting bios, i can atleast open bios after this, but whn i save n exit, again no display.

I'v tried removing cpu n putting back again. Same problem.
I cant find where the problem is.

Solution
Ok, well reseat the CPU and see if it works now. You might have had a contact issue and just by reseating it in the socket could have corrected it.

If this doesn't fix it, the most likely culprit is the motherboard, then next is the CPU itself.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Windows 7 64 bit
Motherboard - Gig z87M-D3H
Memory - Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1/4G HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 X 2, Total 8GB.
Intel i5 4440
G card - Zotac Nvidia GT 730 2 GB..
Idk wat else comes in full specs,

and no i dnt hv other RAMs to try out.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Yes i tried that too..

I appreciate ur time,
even i'v given up right now,

Thanks for trying to help,

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

By this u only mean CPU fan? or cpu too?
coz i did reset CPU fan, but as cpu clip stays tight i didnt think it woud'v moved or smthing,

And if u dnt mind i would try it later, after whole day spending fixing this i hv to get back to work,
Right now m working on my pc,
So i'll jus wait till night, thn i'll try this CPU thing too.

No problem. I thought by the last post you were done for now. Just update if you get a chance to remove the CPU and reseat.

I know it's common knowledge, but just in case. Make sure you clean all the old paste and apply new thermal paste when you re-install the heatsink.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Okay now i hv a new problem.
Without video card my pc is working fine now.
I tried reboot many times n it worked.

N now with video card its not booting. Not even once like before. Jus single beep comes, n no bios screen n no display.

Well since we've updated the BIOS it's less likely that it's a compatibility issue between the motherboard and graphics card.

One thing I'd like you to try. Go into the BIOS and find the setting for Secure Boot and if it's enabled, disable it. Then try the graphics card back in it and see if it works. Actually on your motherboard there is a couple things to set in the BIOS Features. One is OS Type, make sure this is set to Other OS. Next is Boot Mode Selection try this as Legacy Only.

If that doesn't work, do you have another computer you can try that graphics card in? This will quickly determine whether the graphics card is bad. At only 20 days, you should be able to exchange it at the location you purchased it. At the very least you should be able to RMA it with the manufacturer.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Disabling secure boot isnt helping.
Still no display
And i dnt hv any other pc to chq it.
So i guess i' hv to try n replace this.

Do u think watever was the problem yesterday, g card could b the issue?

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Btw jus to clearify, i'v been using my pc since i updated bios yesterday.
In the morning i wasnt sure if pc is goin to start as u know wat was the issue yesterday but it started.
So it was working.
N now its not working.
So i did use my pc on updating bios.

Sorry I updated my original post above regarding the section for Secure Boot. Did you make the change for those settings?

As for whether the graphics card was the original problem. If the computer is consistently POSTing and booting with the card out, then I think that was the issue. However if the settings I am alluding to are the issue it may just be a problem with the UEFI working with the ROM on the graphics card.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Okay now i'v changed all that settings u asked me. And its still not working.

And in case this can b related., in morning i was using photoshop, and i got this error twice,
- unable to recover from a kernel exception.
- display driver Nvidia window kernel mode driver version 364.72 has stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I thought problem was photoshop related.
But after this error twice, pc turned off.

Ok well I've run out of possibilities for incompatibilities between the BIOS setting and the graphics card.

If you received that error and then the computer shut off, I am nearly certain that your graphics card (along with all the other symptoms) is the reason you are having this problem. Since everything is working fine without the card and since the problem is not Windows related (since it causes your system to not POST which is before the OS) then it's really looking like a bad graphics card.

It is too bad that you don't have a friend / family member that you could test the card out in their system. This would give you a definitive answer. However since we've eliminated nearly everything else, it's most likely the card.

One last thing I have to ask, and I should have asked when you posted the rest of your system specs, what make and model power supply do you have? Even though the 730gt doesn't use much power, if your PSU is borderline underpowered, it's possible the PSU is having trouble starting your system with it plugged in.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
cooler master Thunder 500W..
Is their any software or smthing to chq how much power should i have?

And ya u may b right, coz if this Gcard is dead, I jus had 2 dead Gcards in 20 days

Ok a quick run at the PSU calculator (outervision) and a few guesses about some of the components you didn't mention places your computer at ~300W (297W). While this would seem OK, two things concern me. First and most importantly, I wasn't aware that you had a graphics card fail in this system prior to having this issue. Second and almost as importantly the Cooler Master 500W Thunder is generally regarded as a very poor PSU. In nearly every instance that I could find, it was recommended to not use, and if it was in use, to be replaced immediately.

So my concern is that your PSU could be damaging your hardware, or at least the reason why your system is having trouble booting with the graphics card in and sometimes when it's out.

So I'll ask though it's unlikely the answer is yes, do you have another PSU you can try? If so, I'd try to see if it will boot with the graphics card in question. However even if it displays the same behaviour with a different supply, that's not to say the graphics card couldn't have been damaged by this PSU. I think it maybe most important to address the PSU possibility first. If the PSU is in fact the issue, we don't want it causing damage to any other components in your system.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
sadly i hv no other psu to check,
And i also dnt hv budget to replace it as i jus replaced my Gcard,
m jus hoping they will replace this Gcard under warranty and i would hv to hope that nothing fries in my pc in next 3-4 months,
i dnt think i can replace this power supply in next 3-4 months.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hi. That time i didnt have any other pc to try me g card, i gave it in customer care, today it came back. N same problem, so i tried it in diffrent pc.
And its working.

Now my pc is working without gcards
But not with g card.
Yet g card is ok
My mb had 2 slots for g card. I tried on both. No diffrence.
Does it mean my mb is dead ( fpr g card)

OK, this has been almost a month since you posted last.

So just to clarify, now without a graphics card, your PC POST's successfully every time? Or are you still having issues with your computer starting with the graphics card removed?

I suspect that it's an odd incompatibility between this particular graphics card and your motherboard. Trying another graphics card would be the next logical step. When "customer care" returned a card to you, was it the exact one you gave them, or a different card of the same make and model?

There are a couple things I'll have you check in the BIOS. Please refer to pages 47 and 48 of the manual for these settings. Please tell me what each of these settings are set to:

Fast Boot
VGA Support
CSM Support
Boot Mode Selection

I think that's all of them that could play a part in not initializing your graphics card. Just list what they are set to. It couldn't hurt to list what all the options for each are too. The manual doesn't show all the options for each, so it'll be easier to advise you if I know what they are.