Single beep, but pc isnt starting.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hi, i cant start my pc.
It gives single beep but dsnt boot up.
Heres wat i'v already tried,
I'v removed gcard n tried with internal video card, same prob,

I'v tried removing battery n resetting bios, i can atleast open bios after this, but whn i save n exit, again no display.

I'v tried removing cpu n putting back again. Same problem.
I cant find where the problem is.

Solution
Ok, well reseat the CPU and see if it works now. You might have had a contact issue and just by reseating it in the socket could have corrected it.

If this doesn't fix it, the most likely culprit is the motherboard, then next is the CPU itself.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Fast boot - disabled ( other options are- enable and ultra fast)
Vga support - efi driver ( cant see any other option its faded, means cant click on it)
Csm support - always ( its also faded)
Boot mode selection - uefi and legacy ( other options- uefi only and legacy only)

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
And, without g card my pc is booting alright, there is no problem.
And it was the same gcard they returned.
My mobo have 2 slots for g card. I'v always used 1st ( pcie 1 slot)
So whn i thought problem could b g card slot on mobo.
I tried on pcie 2 slot. But that also not working.

OK, lets try setting your Fast Boot option to Enabled. Once you've set this, you should get the option to set VGA Support to Auto. Save the settings, shut off your computer unplug the power, press the power button (to drain power from the motherboard) then install the graphics card. Of course reconnect the power cable and try to boot up.

My hope is that the graphics card has a legacy ROM on it and that's why it won't POST correctly. Give this a try and post back with the results.

Hemant1711

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

should i try to install Gcard on old slot or PCIE 2 slot?
and if i try to use PCIE 2., do i need to change any settings in bios for that too?

Either slot would be fine, I don't think it's a slot issue. Now that you've tried both, it's not likely a BIOS setting causing you an issue.

The very last thing I would try and I mentioned this before is to remove the CPU (not just the heatsink) from the socket and check the socket for bent pins. Then re-seat it (carefully) and try again. The PCI-E bus lanes come from the CPU, so if you have a contact issue, this could cause the PCI-E slots to malfunction.

Ok, well reseat the CPU and see if it works now. You might have had a contact issue and just by reseating it in the socket could have corrected it.

If this doesn't fix it, the most likely culprit is the motherboard, then next is the CPU itself.

Solution