Single Molex vs Double Molex Connection to PSU

EgoRiot

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
What are the consequences of only having a single molex connection to your GPU from your PSU instead of 2? I have a GTX 1080 and recently attached the second one as I realized it might be necessary. I did this practice with my 970 as well

Solution
that's a relief :)

not having the full power available can cause all kinds of issues. most extreme and most often seen is that it simply won't power up and keep the pc itself from powering.

does not sound like the case for you so you'll most likely see the card throttling due to not enough power or even have random issues with it just shutting down when heavily used.

in the end you should be sure your card is fully connected and fully powered to get the full use of it. no reason to spend so much on a nice high end and then not give it the power it needs to excel.

be kind of like buying a $500k Ferrari and refusing to put premium gas in it :/

bignastyid

Titan
You shouldn't be using any molex connectors to power the GPU you should be using PCI-e power connectors from the PSU. If the PSU lacks the proper connectors and you are using molex to pci-e adapters then you should be looking for a new/better PSU that has the proper connections for the card.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's a relief :)

not having the full power available can cause all kinds of issues. most extreme and most often seen is that it simply won't power up and keep the pc itself from powering.

does not sound like the case for you so you'll most likely see the card throttling due to not enough power or even have random issues with it just shutting down when heavily used.

in the end you should be sure your card is fully connected and fully powered to get the full use of it. no reason to spend so much on a nice high end and then not give it the power it needs to excel.

be kind of like buying a $500k Ferrari and refusing to put premium gas in it :/

Solution