[SOLVED] Single Thread Bottleneck

Luke312

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
A lot of what I'm about to say may sound really dumb so brace yourselves.

In my PC currently, I have an Intel i9-9900k. The graphics card I've used for the past 3 years was a 1080. Recently I've upgraded from an EVGA GTX 1080 SC to an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 (EVGA fanboy). While I'm able to push graphics to the max in most games I've had a really odd issue with Minecraft w/ Shaders and MS Flight Sim. I know Flight Sim is poorly optimized so it's not that big of a surprise that I'm only able to get 30-40 fps on max. What concerns me more is the performance oddities I've seen in Minecraft while using shaders. When I have my render distance at the lowest possible I'm able to get a high-ish GPU usage (around 70-90%) and my OVERALL CPU usage drops to about 10% with one thread, number 11, being almost maxed out. On the other hand, when I max out my render distance my GPU usage drops to 5-10% and my overall CPU usage goes up to about 60-70% and the percentages are much more evenly distributed. I can kind of understand optimization issues and the one thread being a bottleneck but what confuses the hell out of me is that my GPU usage drops so low. Either way, I have some screenshots of Afterburner to back up my claims. I'm beyond confused and understanding the bottleneck here is way out of my league of knowledge on computers. Please, any help would be appreciated.

Render distance at 2 chunks with everything else maxed out:
oDHMARo.png

Render distance at 48 chunks with everything else maxed out:
Hpx1ITt.png

Last edited:
Solution
As a side note, I'd like to clarify a common misconception about 'optimzation'.

If by saying MSFS 2020 is "poorly optimized" you mean its visual settings weren't designed around an arbitrary GPU performance point and instead were designed to scale both to modern hardware as well as hardware available in the future (the studio working on it wants to continue refining it for the next ten years after all), then yes, it's "poorly optimized".

If by saying MSFS 2020 is "poorly optimized" you mean its visual settings weren't designed around an arbitrary GPU performance point and instead were designed to scale both to modern hardware as well as hardware available in the future (the studio working on it wants to continue refining it for the next ten years after all), then yes, it's "poorly optimized".

Solution

Luke312

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016

Oh well, I never thought of it like that. Again, I'm just trying to figure out what exactly is bottlenecking me since it's not really obvious to me. I appreciate the perspective though :)