News SK Hynix Scores A World First: Unleashes a Consumer SSD With 128-Layer NAND

dbob3

Reputable
Mar 9, 2020
"saturating the PCI-Express bandwidth"

Can the sentence be changed to "saturating the PCI-Express bandwidth for non-AMD machines"? Yes...it mentioned ancient Gen3 several times in the paragraph...but until it gets enough attention, Intel will continue to not compete here. Reminds me how PCs and Windows-based laptops are stuck using 1080P monitors/screens for the past 20 (?) years while macs are mostly standard with 4K displays. Why? Because it doesn't get enough attention!

alextheblue

Distinguished
"saturating the PCI-Express bandwidth"

Can the sentence be changed to "saturating the PCI-Express bandwidth for non-AMD machines"? Yes...it mentioned ancient Gen3 several times in the paragraph...but until it gets enough attention, Intel will continue to not compete here. Reminds me how PCs and Windows-based laptops are stuck using 1080P monitors/screens for the past 20 (?) years while macs are mostly standard with 4K displays. Why? Because it doesn't get enough attention!
Intel is trying to compete, they're already implementing 4.0 as fast as they can. Their first attempt turned out to be flawed, and they had to disable it. The point I'm trying to make is that bringing attention to it won't actually speed things up, they literally can't implement it any quicker. They stumbled, it wasn't intentional.

Also, the sentence is fine as-is. It does saturate the available 3.0 bandwidth, it consumes all four lanes, and it will NOT run any faster on an AMD machine. If you want to fuss at someone, SK Hynix is the responsible party.