Skype To End Support For Windows Phone And Older Versions Of Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
How can you say this BS ? Skype will stop support for windows Phone 8.1 or lower but not Win 10 mobile, platform on which they already have the successor almost complete.

Liviu Degeratu

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Did the author even bother to check the link they sourced this from? Windows 10 mobile is listed as supported, 8 and 8.1 are losing support after October 26.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
The only thing I hear when it is related to Microsoft is: layoffs, cease support of app this and that, force to ugrade etc...

Microsoft is looking more and more like a bad joke!

Perhaps I should edit the piece and add this in to avoid comments like yours.

Click this link, then click "Windows Phone"
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328/what-do-i-need-to-start-using-skype?intcmp=blogs-_-generic-click-_-skype-the-journey-weve-been-on

vvwTMdZ.png

IINUYASHA74 you are reading it wrong. That link clearly says that only windows phone 8 & 8.1 are losing support after October 2016 and not windows 10 Mobile.

maxusa

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
If this publication cares about its credibility, it shall promptly correct the misstatement about Skype dropping support in "all Windows-based smart phones." The linked Microsoft support article is very clear about Windows Mobile 10 unaffected. Creating sensational headlines much? I thought this was Anandtech's job.

In other MS related news, Microsoft will stop supporting internet in all but Windows 10!

This whole support, exclusivity and similar BS from M$ is really starting to look funny to me.
Very interesting.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Both will be supported. The UWP app will work on all supported Win10 platforms (mobile included) and the desktop program will work on x86 Win10. As far as dropping support for older platforms goes, older versions of x86 Windows will probably just stop seeing updates at some point, and ditto for the older Windows 8.x and Android apps. That doesn't necessarily mean the software will cease working any time soon.

Lumia 950 and 950 XL came with W10M. In fact any Lumia with 1GB of RAM or more can run Win10 Mobile. Which means it will have access to the latest UWP Skype app! I can't think of any app I would want that isn't on W10M, especially now that Bank of America released their new UWP app. Also the new UWP VLC app is great.

Right, they should support all their old stuff forever. :p Win8 and Win7 even got free upgrades. So if you're still running one of those, well... if the software still works, it will probably continue to work without updates for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.