SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skreenname

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
So a GeForce 9600GSO wouldn't do Hybrid SLI with a Onboard 8-series?
I'm just curious. o 3o
I did read the whole first post by the way.

For that resolution,i recommend a single HD 4830,CrossFire ins't needed.
As i have talked about in the first page,i don't say you won't see any performance increase with multiGPU in lower resolutions,i said it will shine in high resolutions.

mglass61

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I'm still confused on this whole crossfire thing. I have a Radeon X1900 GT and am beginning to upgrade my system. How do I tell if my processor is crossfire ready (aka where do I see my chipset number)? Also, do I have to get another identical Radeon x1900 GT or what other options for cards could I get? I'm thinking at this time it might be better to just buy a whole new card rather than crossfire with my x1900.

From my dxdiag if it helps:

Machine name: MICHAEL-DESKTOP
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GATEWA
System Model: GT5238E
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Page File: 631MB used, 2762MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

1_We don't have "Certificated CPUs for multiGPU",you can CrossFire your X1900GT and it doesn't have any relations with your CPU,your motherboard must support CrossFire inorder to add another card.

2_Unlike X1900XT and X1900XTX which require a Master card to run in CrossFire,X1900GT can be paired with antoher X1900GT.

Good read:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-x1900gt_2.html
The Radeon X1900 GT can work in a CrossFire tandem, and you don’t need a Master card with a Compositing Engine for that. All you have to do is to install two Radeon X1900 GT cards into your CrossFire-compatible system (based on a CrossFire Xpress 3200 or Intel 975X chipset, for example). Then you just enable the appropriate option in Catalyst’s Control Center. The two cards will communicate via the PCI Express bus.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/powercolorx1900gtcf/

However, with their release two weeks ago, anyone is capable of putting together a dual X1900 system without the hassle of purchasing a seperate, more expensive master card. While X1900 XT cards still require a master and slave setup, the word still stands that R600 cards should be able to run in a dual setup without cables when they ship sometime by the end of this year.

creepy_maverick

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hi Maz!..

Quick question?

Would a Samsung t260hd 26 inch lcd monitor benefit from a crossfire,,in terms of from daily computing to gaming? regular resolution is 1920 x 1200

thank s for your time Maz.

--------------------------------
CPU: Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ (1.47v)
MB: ASUS M3A78-T
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000w
GPU: Sapphire Toxic Edition 4870 1gb
RAM: Corsair 8gb 800MHz DDR2 pc6400 twinx

the collector

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
why is the gtx 295 so fast if its core clock speeds and memory clock speeds are no faster than that of a gtx 260. the gtx 285 has a faster core and memory clock speed than the gtx 295. im guessing it has something to do with stream processors...or no? im new to all of this and it is alot to take in and understand. anybody able to lead me in the direction of an article that could help me to better understand how this technology works?

Good question :)
Well core clock and memory clock speeds are important for a video card but they aren't the most important factors,there are some other important things to consider too like stream processors,memory bandwidth....

GTX 295 is basically 2 downclocked GTX 260s attached to one card.

romu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
i hav sme doubt..wts da basic requirements for crossfiring two cards???
shld v hav motherboard supporting it???if yes can u pls list down da motherboards supporting crossfire??also is der ny particular card in every series for crossfiring..i mean in HD4830 is der ny special 4830 tat hav to b used for crossfiring???

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi,
I have a crossfire bridge question, that I couldn't find the answer to, on a skim read of this mega thread (which is great btw, thanks Maz and others).
Do I need one or two crossfire bridges? It is my understanding from various forum posts that I have read, that for lower resolutions (?what resolutions) you may need only one bridge?
I have just ordered a second 4770 that comes with a CF bridge (my previous Sapphire card did not) so have one bridge but will i need another for my 1650X1050 2232bw monitor?
I am going to upgrade my monitor soonish for one with a better res before I get told off by my learned friends that I dont need CF with a monitor like that.
Sorry if this a total noob question!
Many thanks for your help. Be gentle ;)
Andy

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)
You have to use 2 CrossFire bridges since HD 48xx/HD 4770 series have 2 place for bridges :) (38xx series have 1 only)
Also its not a noob question mate :) asking isn't a noob thing :)

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hey, Maziar, do those new Radeon HD 4850X2 cards show a Crossfire/Crossfire X tab in Catalyst control centre? And how can I tell if both the GPU's are working?

creepy_maverick

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hi Sir,

MAN SORRY TO BUG YOU AT A BAD TIME..

How are you doing Maz!

I apologize for bothering you again.

I just have some retarded situation on my crossfire set up.

I know honestly for my self that you are a THE EXPERT when it comes to these complex stuff.

I finally made this Sapphire Toxic 4870 1gb and one more of the same into a crossfire mode running with just default /factory oc settings and yey I did it, did some generals games one hour or so and it blew me away( awesome!!!! ) then I played some Tom Clancy Vegas 2 1st person shooter , came after 2 to 5 minutes PC SHUT DOWN ALL POWER GONE , ITS OFF ,,, by golly what Id do...so I got this antec quattro 1000 watts and asking myself what happened.

I was thinking its getting to be a defective power supply on its 5th/6th month,, or my mobo battery is dying. There could be a million ways that this is happening isnt it. So I am pleading for your scrutiny ,,, If I get another psu, If i get another Thermaltake lets say 1200 watts, would this be super mega enough/sufficient to power my whole system and this shut down will not bother me..

take care MAZ

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME..

--------------------------------
CPU: Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ (1.47v)
MB: ASUS M3A78-T
PSU: Antec Quattro 1000w
GPU: Sapphire Toxic Edition 4870 1gb plus Sapphire Toxic Edition 4870 1gb CF
RAM: Corsair 8gb 800MHz DDR2 pc6400 twinx
CASE: Antec 1200
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer blueray

Yes it will show,right click on ATI CCC icon then select ATI HD 4850X2,CROSSFIRE X settings and click on "Show CrossFire X icon".

To know that if both are working,u can test your FPS in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.