SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I just read the sli-crossfire and micro-stuttering article, and it got me thinking. All the 2 card configuration had the first card shoot out a fast frame, and the second card would lag, which causes teh microstuttering. What would happen if the second card was overclocked? Theoretically, that would improve stuttering significantly, or even...cure it!
Quick! Someone with a crossfire-sli setup make this happen!

I firmly believe that if 'microstuttering' exists/happens then it's due to a weak CPU with a lack of onboard cache that causes it.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

The article on Tom's had a hardware setup with a 2500k @5GHz (don't tell me how they got it all the way up there)
I doubt it was from the cpu not being able to handle it.
Another worthwhile test would be to see if the effect is worse when that cpu is clocked lower..

Increased clockspeed does not always seem to make up for lack of onboard cache from what I've seen over the years.

emmanuelxian07

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
May I just ask a simple question.. I know I should try to read this whole thread but there are almost 20 pages here.
>,< My eyes are already sore.
I would just like to ask if I will get any improvement on performance if I do SLI with my GTX 460 even if I don't plan to use more than 1 monitor or display.
Thanks in advance!

Steffen

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Maybe there should there be a notice that Crossfire / Sli doenst work if you play games in Window mode. And it only runs on 1 card if so. its been awhile since ive been playing around with sli / crossfire. DX11 should have fixed that problem, but it didnt fix it for me.

Nyorai

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello there guys,

I was atcualy wondering at 1 thing. I am planing to get one 6870 now , and probably add another one later. They require 2 PCIE power connectors each, so should my PSU have 4? I see some 650w models (I hope 650w should be enough) have just 2 but are marked as CF/SLI ready.

Thanks

EyeSeven

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Hi masters,
I'm planning to build a rig, but I'm kinda confused with some parts. What PSU can you suggest for a rig with dual SLI GTX 580 and i7 2600k? Should I go for Corsair AX-1200? Many thanks! :)

This is not a question and answer thread, please start your own thread for that.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

My safe bet would be a 1000watt psu. With plenty of amps on the (12v) rail... :bounce:

mebuebu

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I really hope this question hasn't been asked, but I read through the first few pages and the last page of this forum and didn't find my answer.
I currently have a 5970 and a 5870(2GB) crossfire set up, and running 3 27 inch monitors. But here's the thing...

I am not sure if my crossfire set up is working properly. I don't have any error messages, and running everything at its default within the catalyst control Center. But I feel like I should be getting better frames per second. When running the 'Heaven DX11 benchmark' at these settings: Shaders-high tessellation-normal Anisotropy-4 Anti-Aliasing- off res 1920x1080 dx11
I average more than 60 frames per second with crossfire enabled, and noticed a decrease by about 15 frames with crossfire disabled. But the real problem I'm worried about is that when catalyst control Center is monitoring activity only the first GPU of my 5970.

Would it show activity on all GPU separately, or are all the GPU's treated and monitored as one even within CCC?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Intel core i7-950 @3.06Ghz
patriot gaming series 9-9-9-24 DDR3 (1600Mhz) 12GB
diamond ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition
X FX ATI Radeon HD 5970 Black edition
OCZ agility2 120GB solid-state X2 RAID0
Xion PSU 1000 W

Status
Not open for further replies.