SLI / CrossFire FAQs

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes,it'll work fine

Probably one of your cards is defective,test them simultaneously to see if they work or not

You mean 3-way CF ? is so,then yes

Glad it helped

prototype18

Distinguished
Guys i was thinking to SLI my 560 Ti as im upgr my monitor to 1080 P
Should i do that or my CPU would bottleneck ?

And is the SLI ok now ? I mean no more problems ?

It's been more than a year w/o sli

Your CPU will definitely be a bottleneck.
And no,neither SLI/CF are perfect.

Xaian

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Well thx for the info.

But I have a question.

I have an msi n560gtx-ti 2gb and a pny gtx 560 ti 1gb.

Would it be better to just run the single card with 2gb ram. Or keep them in sli and have the 2gb run at 1gb.

Il eventually get another 2gb card knowing that my 1gb card is downgrading my 2gb

GAURAV9822

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
My pc config is
intel i3 2120 @3.3ghz
intel hd 2000 graphics and nvidia geforce 8400gs
can i use nvidia hybrid sli on an ASUS P8H61-MLX motheboard?

No, It only worked with Nvidia onboard graphics. Your boards onboard is part of the Intel cpu.

Your images do not work, but video ram is not the only factor. Some times you can get a slower card with more vram(I remember seeing some rather memory filled FX series cards back in the day), but it is still a slower card.

768 kind of reminds me of the 8800GTX cards. Most current gen cards(mid end and up) are as fast and faster(much faster in higher end cards) then it now.

If you currently have both,then keep them in SLI.2 560s perform better than 1(even if one of them is downgraded to 1GB)

comster

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
My apologies if this question is completely idiotic. My build currently employs a HD 6970, which I am now attempting to upgrade. If I was to purchase a 7950, could I CrossFire them?

No you can not, they have different cores. While the 5770 and 6770 had the same core and could be used in crossfire.

Please see the chart on the first page.
AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

thelaughinganon

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi everyone, i'm trying crossfire for the first time and i'm having a problem, i can't get the "AMD Crossfire" option on CCC.

I have:

- ASUS Crosshair III Formula
- Phenom II 955
- 16gb Gskill Ripjaws
- Samsung 830 SSD 512gb

- MSI R5870 Lightning
- MSI R7970 Lightning

- Antec true Power 750 wattt PSU (with, i believe, 4 rail +12v)
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I connected the 7970 on the 1st pcie slot and the 5870 on the 2nd.
Both cards are connected with the 2 8pin adapter (6 + 2) that both requiered for power supply.
Connected the crossfire bridge (tried already with 2, not the 2 at the same time, 1st with the one that came with the 7970 and then with the one that came with the 5870).
Installed the latest drivers (12.10).
Installed the AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 12.11 CAP 2.

Both cards are recognized by windows, by CCC and by the MSI Afterburner but i'm still not sure if crossfire is enabled or not since the option doesn't show up on CCC. I've run the Unigine Heaven benchmark with everything max out and got 70fps most of the time, don't know if that's ok.
I also tried connecting first both cards with the crossfire bridge and installing the driver, and then i tried connecting only the 7970, installing the driver and the Application Profiles and the connecting the second card, but same result.

Any advice?

PS: sorry for my grammar, english is not my native language :)

thelaughinganon

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

:eek: thanks nukemaster! i did not think about that. Ones i saw an eyefinity setup and the guy was using a 5xxx and a 4xxx card in crossfire (i don't remember exactly the models), since then i've come to believe that the generation was not that important. But you're right, they are 2 generations apart, thanks again! i'll try using the 5870 in another setup or maybe selling it and trying to buy another 7970 after a motherboard+cpu upgrade :D

PS: buying another 7970 is going to be very hard since i believe i'll need a better PSU also :na:

A company called lucidlogix had once released a chip to allow ANY cards(even Nvidia + AMD) to work together. I do not think it got too far because the performance was worse then current solutions. It was a good idea, but is very hard to get it all right performance wise.

The only real cross generation cards I have seen work with Crossfire was the 5770(or 5750) + 6770(or 6750) because the 6770 was just a re brand of the 5770.

The chart is just above AND on the first page of this thread.

Dropz

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Correction ..
Different cards can be run on different speeds in CrossfireX setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.