[SOLVED] Slight burning smell inside case

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
So I built a new PC a while ago and when I turned on for a few minutes, I it smelt like something was burning a little bit in the case, well I don't know if it was burning but I don't know how else to describe it.
I could only smell it if I stuck my head inside the case, it wasn't noticeable from the outside.
I'm worried something might be burning but I don't know what it could be. Could it be some thin plastic overlay that has to burn away first, like with other hardware?
Also something to note, my other consoles/TV have the same smell coming from their vents. So is it safe to assume that it's just the normal smell..?

Parts list if you need it
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/donklyknob/saved/b24Jbv
(I know the motherboard isn't right, I replaced it)

Solution
On the bottom of that big, finned chunk of aluminium is a small, usually clear or translucent blue piece of tape looking plastic that protects the pre-applied paste from ppl sticking fingers in it. That'll need to be removed (usually is printed on the plastic to remove just prior to mounting) before mounting the heatsink on top of the cpu.

That said, motherboards are soldered components, and part of the soldering process involves Flux. This can and will kinda stink once electricity is passed through it, it takes a little while to eventually burn off. You'll also find that sometimes there's remnants of machine oil left over from the extruding process on heatsinks, that stinks too when it burns off.

So yes, sometimes a pc can smell...
Jul 30, 2019
I have never heard of that brand for your SSD. Also, did you remove the plastic on the bottom of your cooler? Most come with a thin plastic on the copper plate that goes on the CPU that protects it from dust/prints

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
I have never heard of that brand for your SSD. Also, did you remove the plastic on the bottom of your cooler? Most come with a thin plastic on the copper plate that goes on the CPU that protects it from dust/prints
You're talking about the fan that comes with the CPU right? I don't remember removing a thin layer of plastic, only the plastic the parts came in.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On the bottom of that big, finned chunk of aluminium is a small, usually clear or translucent blue piece of tape looking plastic that protects the pre-applied paste from ppl sticking fingers in it. That'll need to be removed (usually is printed on the plastic to remove just prior to mounting) before mounting the heatsink on top of the cpu.

That said, motherboards are soldered components, and part of the soldering process involves Flux. This can and will kinda stink once electricity is passed through it, it takes a little while to eventually burn off. You'll also find that sometimes there's remnants of machine oil left over from the extruding process on heatsinks, that stinks too when it burns off.

So yes, sometimes a pc can smell funky for a while when first put together and fired up.

Solution

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019

So yes, sometimes a pc can smell funky for a while when first put together and fired up.
Well then either I took it off and didn't notice or it didn't have any plastic to begin with... cuz I did touch the paste lol, but then bought some and reapplied it. Yea I'm gonna assume because its new.

donkeydude125

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Some of the flashier motherboards have the irritating practice of putting film over the VRM heatsinks, etcetera, to protect the ego-massaging quality of whatever finish they put on the HS material. If not removed that material will give-off an odor.
I didn't take any plastic off the motherboard so it COULD be that, I ordered a new motherboard so I'll make sure to check that. But I'm gonna assume it stinks because its new.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
check your temps with core temp or speedfan , i they are ok you probably did
remove the plastic. if they areh igh you didnt.
like that other guy said some new motherboards give away a smell. i had one computer doing the same thing but went away after a week. if the smell dont go away you should worry about it.

TRENDING THREADS