Question slow boot after Bitlocker decrypt

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
Hello,
My HP-15 laptop with Win10 booted quick and fine until I today decrypted my ssd (want to clone it to bigger ssd).
After I disabled Bitlocker, every boot up time is like at least 30 secs instead of 3-4.
Nothing else changed.

I tried turning off fast boot and cleaning some rest files with Bleachbit, updating drivers and Win10 but that isn't related to this.
Checked also disk with CHKDSK (through check), no issues. Check Win image health with DISM, no issues too.

The laptop has 16g RAM, AMD Ryzen 4 cores, SSD NVME, all firmware updated.

Any ideas?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
My HP-15 laptop with Win10 booted quick and fine until I today decrypted my ssd (want to clone it to bigger ssd).
After I disabled Bitlocker, every boot up time is like at least 30 secs instead of 3-4.
Nothing else changed.

I tried turning off fast boot and cleaning some rest files with Bleachbit, updating drivers and Win10 but that isn't related to this.
Checked also disk with CHKDSK (through check), no issues. Check Win image health with DISM, no issues too.

The laptop has 16g RAM, AMD Ryzen 4 cores, SSD NVME, all firmware updated.

Any ideas?
"3-4 sec" boot time implies Fast start, or just coming out of sleep.

That is NOT a full boot from cold, no matter what hardware is involved.
So yes, things have changed in your system.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
"No"...what?
There couldn't been any changes in configuration because the laptop was laying unused. Today I opened it up and disabled the Bitlocker. After that boot time went like x10.

After some research, it seems that it is some issue or timing interval within the boot sector of the drive. There is some obvious waiting time when laptop just idles and then when it figures out where to look it fires up the drive and the Windows is booted within 2-3 secs, just like before.
Now I need to figure out what changes could have been introduces by simply disabling Bitlocker and decrypting the disk.

USAFRet

Titan
There couldn't been any changes in configuration because the laptop was laying unused. Today I opened it up and disabled the Bitlocker. After that boot time went like x10.

After some research, it seems that it is some issue or timing interval within the boot sector of the drive. There is some obvious waiting time when laptop just idles and then when it figures out where to look it fires up the drive and the Windows is booted within 2-3 secs, just like before.
Now I need to figure out what changes could have been introduces by simply disabling Bitlocker and decrypting the disk.
A "3-4 sec" boot time is not coming off a full OFF status. NO PC will do that.
Fast boot, and/or sleep situation.

Disabling the BL has indeed changed things.

A 30 second period from the power button to a usable desktop is absolutely normal.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
A "3-4 sec" boot time is not coming off a full OFF status. NO PC will do that.
Fast boot, and/or sleep situation.

Disabling the BL has indeed changed things.

A 30 second period from the power button to a usable desktop is absolutely normal.

What is important is the time change, maybe I exagerrated but it doesn't matter whether is 3-4 or 10-15 secs, what is important that after disabling Bitlocker I now wait like a 40-50 secs or more and that is the issue I'm trying to solve and to figure out what happened. The issue is not whether the system can be booted up in 3-4 or whatever secs, open another thread for that.

USAFRet

Titan
What is important is the time change, maybe I exagerrated but it doesn't matter whether is 3-4 or 10-15 secs, what is important that after disabling Bitlocker I now wait like a 40-50 secs or more and that is the issue I'm trying to solve and to figure out what happened. The issue is not whether the system can be booted up in 3-4 or whatever secs, open another thread for that.
All we out here have to go by is what you tell us.

3-4 sec, then 30 sec...
is different than
10-15 sec then 40-50 sec...

Bottom line - Disabling the BL has changed something.
30 - 50 sec boot time is far more normal than something like 3-4 or 10-15 sec.
Seriously.

Look in Task Manager - Startup.
What was the last recorded "Last BIOS time".
On my system, it is 13.3 sec.
That is what the BIOS is doing, nothing at all to do with Windows or BL.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
All we out here have to go by is what you tell us.

3-4 sec, then 30 sec...
is different than
10-15 sec then 40-50 sec...

Bottom line - Disabling the BL has changed something.
30 - 50 sec boot time is far more normal than something like 3-4 or 10-15 sec.
Seriously.

Look in Task Manager - Startup.
What was the last recorded "Last BIOS time".
On my system, it is 13.3 sec.
That is what the BIOS is doing, nothing at all to do with Windows or BL.
Just reread the posts.
If I find some solution/explanation, I will post it here.