Slow boot after reverting to integrated graphics

Gilduck

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hi guys,
Usually come here to read everyone elses posts, this time i actually have a query!

I've been trying to scale back my desktop to standard setup i like ready for a full backup and to create a ghost image.
Ran CCleaner to tidy up the registery after uninstalling several apps and moving files and linked directories.
On reboot i lost the login screen (replaced with black screen) following the windows icon, i still had mouse and the login functionality which i assume brought me to the desktop but only presented a white screen on the monitor.
I read a few other forums which mentioned about the graphics drivers having issues (common with win 8 after using CCleaner), additionally using the navigator at the login screen i could see the mouse icon change on mouse over.
I assumed that changed back to integrated graphics would potentially allow me to access the desktop and re-install the driver.
The issue i'm now facing is the boot is taking alot longer with integrated graphics currently an hour an still not at the login screen.
For reference i've already tried re-importing the reg back-up from external hd, assume my keyboard combinations were correct via cmd.
There is no system backup or restore point to restore to.
So this is the last resort prior to a full os install!

Any suggestions?

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Are you sure you are not logged into windows? Because switching back to igpu can sometimes create a glitch where nothing shows on the screen but your computer is in windows. If this is not the case then what I suggest did happen was when you switched back to igpu something happened with probably the OS and created a glitch itself whereby if no graphics are detected it wont boot in. Happened to me in the past with a dedicated card installed and had to reseat and let the ports refresh itself.

You could try clearing CMOS (remove plastic tab jumper on your mobo, refer to your manual), this should clear up any stupid things going on. But doing this will reset all your motherboard settings, so any overclock, AHCI for SSD will need to be set again.

If clear CMOS doesnt work, then it means your windows has misplaced its own boot file and can't log in. Your only solutions here is for a fresh install, or get a repair disk image if you have one from DVD installation disk or USB. Otherwise full fresh install is your only method.

Gilduck

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
I'd managed to get into windows after trying an automated repair but thats only done so much, i can now view the login screen and login correctly but still a black screen once logged in to profile,
Seems like explorer.exe isnt loaded can access task manager via ctrl alt delete and command propt via the recovery tools, tried import the reg backup but it wont accept it.
And in task manager i can only do so much wont run regedit, admin tools, any programs or explorer.

I think i've well an truely buggered the registery.
Can add new keys to the registery via cmd but i wouldnt know what to add for to start resolving the issue.
Tried remote desktop, and i can view the entire dirctory structure for the pc, partitions etc via browsing when starting a new task.

Only things i can start are those services linked directly from task manager like 'resouce monitor' & 'services'.

Lastly i can use the gpu again and switch between gpu or intergrated but the result is the same.
I'll try clearing cmos as suggested tomorrow.

Thanks for reply meat loaf!