Question Slow boot times with Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Hi, as I said in the title, I have slow boot up times with my 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO SSD. From 40 s up to 4 minutes, which I think is not acceptable for an NVMe SSD! I also have a 1 TB Toshiba DT01ACA100 HDD installed.

Other specs:
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (non-AF)
  • RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (dual channel)
  • GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RX 580 8 GB
If you need any more information, please let me know.
If you have any kind of information regarding this subject, please let me know as well! :)

USAFRet

Titan
4 mins boot time is not acceptable for any boot drive.

Disconnect the HDD. What happens?
Is the OS on the 970 a fresh install, or something else?
What was the last thing you did before this happened?

How are you measuring this boot time? From when to when?

Reactions: TomySLO

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Disconnect the HDD. What happens?
Nothing has changed as far as I'm aware of. The boot time was around 50 seconds.

Is the OS on the 970 a fresh install, or something else?
Yes, the OS that is installed on the 970 EVO is a fresh install. I installed it with the Windows 10 Installation media tool from Microsofts website from a USB flash drive.

What was the last thing you did before this happened?
It has been like this from the first day (I bought the SSD back in November - 2020.

How are you measuring this boot time? From when to when?
I am measuring the boot time with the stopwatch app on my smartphone. I know it's not perfect but I think it gives me a good idea. I measure it form when I press the power button to when the desktop appears on my monitor.

Additional info: I have 2 monitors, one connected with an AliExpress DisplayPort 1 m cable, and the other one connected via an HDMI (GPU side) to VGA (monitor side) adapter/converter. Not sure if that helps with anything but I just thought I'd throw it in there.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
50 seconds is a far cry from 4 minutes.
I agree, but from my experience it has been "random" every time. I'm not sure why that is.

What things do you have automatically starting up?
I only have 5/24 programs automatically starting up - Lightshot (screenshotting program), BakkesMod (modification for a videogame), Avast (antivirus), CTF Loader (so I can start typing when I open the start menu), and Radeon Software Host Application. I've also tried disabling all the programs with not improvment.

In Task Manager - Startup...what was the last BIOS time? (Mine is 4.5 sec)
I checked, and it's 16.5 seconds.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Turn off Lightshot and that Mod thing.
Disconnect the HDD completely

16.5 secs in the BIOS is kinda slow.
I have disabled Lightshot and BakkesMod in the Startup section in Task Manager.
I disconnected the HDDs SATA power and data connectors.

The boot-up time with my method has been around 55 seconds, and the BIOS time was 16.4 seconds.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
I've been tinkering with Windows' fast boot, BIOS settings, disk cleanups for the past hour but I still can't figure it out. On some startups, the BIOS time went up to 19.9 secs! I'm out of ideas.