Slow Computer After Format

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Hey guys, before I format my PC, I used to run games and surf the internet with ease. After I format my PC, everything in general seems to be slower than usual when I am surfing the internet, watching videos and playing games.

I have tried updating all my drivers, Malwarebytes to scan for any viruses and formatting the PC again but I just can't seem to find a solution for it. I have tried looking online for a solution but everywhere I look, they have the same answer or maybe not well explained.

I will include my PC specifications below, I am not 100% what else to include so I hope this isn't enough:

Windows 8
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (x4)
6.00 GB (5.90 GB usable)
64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

If I have missed anything out, please let me know but I am not a technical type of person so please go easy on me :)

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Let me start by saying the hard drive can begin failing at any time, and a format is a heavy task, it may have been the trigger. Now, do you have another monitor plugged in? the fact that it sits at the black screen indicates that the boot menu is coming up, just not displaying for some reason. now, by default most video cards have default or preferred output.

SO, lets do this, turn the computer back on and continually press the f12 till its hung on that black screen (should be about 10 seconds MAX. Then, while the screen is black look at the back of your pc, your computer has integrated grapics (a port near the usb's) on the back, Im not sure on your model whether its a DVI or HDMI, but try that port and see if the screen displays anything, then try the other port on the back of the graphics card. ONE of those will be the default output and will show you what you need to see.

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I currently use a TV and connect it to my PC using a HDMI cable. I do have another monitor downstairs but I won't be able to test this until the family is done with the computer (Around 30 minutes towards an hour). I will edit my post or create a new one to let you know if it works and if there are any updates I can add. Also I tried moving the HDMI cable into another slot and tried changing the channels but it did nothing, I will try the other monitor and let you know what happens.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Good good good. Make sure to try all outputs, HDMI and DVI

forgot -- laptop............. kill power/disconnect battery...... have to pull it apart and look for the cmos battery. think it looks like a small blue thing with a wire on it. sorry for being vague. laptop internals aren't my thing. but you need to isolate the pc from all power sources for this to work.

if you are using a tv all the time....... is the refresh rate set correctly. ( is the laptop screen one refresh rate the tv another )?

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I tried your solution but it appears to not work, whether it may be something wrong with the BIOS or something else clashing with it.

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows.

I wouldn't use an integrated reinstall utility. I would run off a disc. can't you do that?

reinstall mobo drivers off the cd-rom that came with the board.

remove and replace battery.......... did you even look for the cmos jumper? did you look in the mobo booklet? or a pdf on line?

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I didn't get a disk that came with it. No idea what mobo drivers are and no cd-rom came with the board. No idea what a cmos jumper, mobo booklet or what pdf to look at. As I said above, I am not a technical type of person :) I bought the Alienware X51 (Regret it) and all I got was the desktop and some accessories but not disk.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
there is a program installed on the computer called dell backup and recovery. it will allow you to create recovery disks. grab yourself a blank flash drive (about 15-20 GB) or some blank dvd's. open that program and create recovery media. then boot to that and reinstall. but to be honest, what you did is literally the same as installing from disk. short of the fact that there may be data corruption on the recovery partition. I would give the fresh install from the recovery media you create with that program a try.

google pdf. internet works wonders.

to reset cmos without using the jumper..................... shut down computer. unplug from outlet. push power button to drain power. remove battery. replace after a few minutes........... put a dot or slash on the back of the battery before you pull it so you put it back in the same way. carefully look at how to remove battery. a small blade screw driver to slide the retainer clips off the top of the battery....... then it should just pop out.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

what? lol. did you look at the link? that's a packaged CMOS battery. that's how a lot of small form factor computers have the cmos to free up room on the motherboard.

Stop working and forum-ing lol.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Haha. yeah its uncommon but on oem small form factor boards ive seen it a few times. said working cause of what you said yesterday lol. anyway. I hope he figures this out soon...

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks for the response guys but I don't feel safe opening my Desktop, I realise there are guides and tutorials on how to do it but I just don't feel safe doing this because I don't want to damage or ruin anything.

commander10101

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Excuse me, if you don't want to help then you don't have to. I have been searching for several weeks now with no solution what so ever.