Slow computer

My computer is getting slower. I have done the disk cleanup, defragmented my
disk, got rid of unwanted programs at startup and cleaned up my desktop, but
the performance slips whe the PC has been on for a few hours. Is there a
cache I can clear to improve the speed? If so, where to find it?

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:37:03 -0700, "cashdeskmac"
<cashdeskmac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>My computer is getting slower. I have done the disk cleanup, defragmented my
>disk, got rid of unwanted programs at startup and cleaned up my desktop, but
>the performance slips whe the PC has been on for a few hours. Is there a
>cache I can clear to improve the speed? If so, where to find it?

When it is slow, have you clicked on your task manager to see how your CPU
is being used? It should be 95 % - 98 % If you aren't doing anything.
Right-click your bottom bar & choose task manager, or control-alt-delete
at the same time.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l_kn1ghts) are a smaller chatroom group (Yahoo
Messenger based) of computer users. Enjoy knowing the people you are in a
chatroom environment with, and having some new friends to Instant Message.
Beginners are welcome. Those of us who know computers can help you.
Requirements: be a semi-responsible individual.
http://www.steel-knights.com (We don't just talk computers).

...D.

scan for spyware
spybot safer-networking.org

map

"cashdeskmac" wrote:

> My computer is getting slower. I have done the disk cleanup, defragmented my
> disk, got rid of unwanted programs at startup and cleaned up my desktop, but
> the performance slips whe the PC has been on for a few hours. Is there a
> cache I can clear to improve the speed? If so, where to find it?

Their can be many reason's why a system is slowing down,one major cause (but
not the only one) is scumware taking up your resources and phoneing home,Very
easy to check out just downlod ad-aware and spybot and scan your system.

Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
stack from working (Internet connection).
Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
"imon.dll" this fix reports,That is your e/mail scanning engine.

YES-You need more than 1 malware program,I use all of these.
LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
CWS Smart Killer- http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
CWShredder - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html\
Hijacjthis tutorial -http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=165
SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
BHODemon - http://pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23611&fileidx=1
Bazooka -http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm

A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

A listing of BHO's
http://www.spywaredata.com/bho.php?current_page=0

To see if that freeware program you are about to inststall
is infested with spyware check it out first at this link.
http://www.spychecker.com/

To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
default settings.
These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other systems
as well.
Go to control panel and open "internet options.
Click on the security tab then custom level.
make sure these settings are as follows.

Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
Java permissions>set to high
Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

Free Firewalls
ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://snipurl.com/6ohg

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

NTbackup link
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi
Erunt- http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/index.htm

Try cleaning out your temp, and temp internet files, the
temp internet files do have a limited cache (unless you
increased the cache size). If those files become
overloaded, it will slow your system as it no longer uses
the cache once filled, but switches to the swap file,
which operates a little slower.

My computer is also running slower than it did with Win2000. It even takes a
lot longer for data to be sent to the printer (same printer), which is being
a big headache. The printer is USB2, and was still using the regular USB
cable from the old printer, while transferring data faster with Win2000. Now
I put it on a USB2 cable. My Win XP Pro has been installed (clean install)
less than a month.
My husbands computer was clean-installed last week; got it back on Fri.
afternoon. Fri. night I installed and ran Spybot and Ad-Aware, and set up
all his user settings, etc. The first thing he said when he tried it, was
that the executions (trade language) were slower than with Win2000.
What gives?

cksdjs <cksdjs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>My computer is also running slower than it did with Win2000. It even takes a
>lot longer for data to be sent to the printer (same printer), which is being
>a big headache. The printer is USB2, and was still using the regular USB
>cable from the old printer, while transferring data faster with Win2000. Now
>I put it on a USB2 cable. My Win XP Pro has been installed (clean install)
>less than a month.
>My husbands computer was clean-installed last week; got it back on Fri.
>afternoon. Fri. night I installed and ran Spybot and Ad-Aware, and set up
>all his user settings, etc. The first thing he said when he tried it, was
>that the executions (trade language) were slower than with Win2000.
>What gives?>"Jenifer Scot" wrote:

You know, just generally speaking here, Win XP needs a lot more RAM than
previous versions of Windows. I've hear of 128 MBs RAM working with XP,
but I don't see how. 256 MBs RAM is still very minimal. If a computer
user only has 256 MBs RAM & $20 to their name, hopefully their computer
can mismatch sizes (my Athalon can) and they should add a 128 memory stick
to the lowly 256 MB stick for a 384 MB RAM total. But 512 Megabytes RAM
is really what I consider minimum. Me, I added a 256 memory stick to my
512 for a total of an oddball size 768 MBs RAM. It realty helped speed in
some cases. I also have video that steals 64 MBs of RAM from my total
memory, so that is something else to throw into the mix.
...D.
-------
OT : The steel knights (st33l_kn1ghts) are a smaller chatroom group (Yahoo
Messenger based) of computer users. Enjoy knowing the people you are in a
chatroom environment with, and having some new friends to Instant Message.
Beginners are welcome. Those of us who know computers can help you.
Requirements: be a semi-responsible individual.
http://www.steel-knights.com (We don't just talk computers).

We do both have 512 MB of RAM on our computers. Something else must be
causing this delay in programs opening, etc.--and hesitation in execution of
links.

cksdjs