slow copying?

Hi all,

I have two Dells, an older one and a brand new one.
I have a lot of music files on the old one that I am
transfering to the new one. Both have XP Home on
them. I took the hard drive out of the old one and
made it the slave on the new one. I had to boot in
safe mode to take over ownership of the directory.
Then I did a copy and paste in Windows Explorer
from the old drive to the new drive. The problem is
the copy process is suppose to take THREE HOURS.
In task manager the cpu is HT so it has two windows
for cpu %'s. One is near zero and the other is near
100%. The cpu usage bar to the left is around 50%.
Both of the hd's are Maxtor's and they are ATA133s.
Why is the copy soooooo ssssslllllooooowwwww?

thanks,
charles.....

"***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have two Dells, an older one and a brand new one.
> I have a lot of music files on the old one that I am
> transfering to the new one. Both have XP Home on
> them. I took the hard drive out of the old one and
> made it the slave on the new one. I had to boot in
> safe mode to take over ownership of the directory.
> Then I did a copy and paste in Windows Explorer
> from the old drive to the new drive. The problem is
> the copy process is suppose to take THREE HOURS.
> In task manager the cpu is HT so it has two windows
> for cpu %'s. One is near zero and the other is near
> 100%. The cpu usage bar to the left is around 50%.
> Both of the hd's are Maxtor's and they are ATA133s.
> Why is the copy soooooo ssssslllllooooowwwww?
>
> thanks,
> charles.....

Did you remember to go into the BIOS on the new machine and change the drive
from OFF to AUTO? If not, then it is running in PIO mode which is SLOW!

Tom