Slow HDD on Ryzen Ecosystem

Atif Abdullah

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
I recently built a new ryzen system comprising of ryzen 5 1500x paired with 8 GB ddr4 and a Gigabyte Gtx 1060 6 GB Edition.I am very much satisfied with the PC performance except the fact that my HDD which is old always has 100% usage.I tried turning off services and indexing but to no use.My pc often hangs when HDD usage goes 100% while installing or transferring.Apart from that the performance is quite impressive.Can you please help me out in buying some good budget friendly internal HDDs with good performance.i prefer HDDs since I game and I don't find any need to upgrade to ssds.Thanks.

Solution
The first thing you're gonna want to keep in mind is to stick with 7200 RPM, avoid 5400 for performance. Avoid 2.5" form factor if at all possible as most of these on the market are 5400 RPM drives. 3.5" Form factor is what you want.

Regarding our offerings: You've got a couple of options here. If you're looking to stick to purely budget, a 1TB (ST1000DM010) or 2TB(ST2000DM006) BarraCuda is a good option.

With your budget concerns, it's understandable why you're not wanting an SSD. They are awesome storage technology, but the cost for the amount of storage you're getting is quite high. If you'd like an option that gives you some of that performance benefit without skyrocketing the budget for the drive or vastly reducing...
on your old hard drive did you wipe and reinstall windows. if not you may have driver issues. with the old drive in the pc run a vendor test tool and hdtune check drive health. if there are issues see if the drive is under warranty some drives have 5 years on them. if you can find wd red there better then there green line.

The first thing you're gonna want to keep in mind is to stick with 7200 RPM, avoid 5400 for performance. Avoid 2.5" form factor if at all possible as most of these on the market are 5400 RPM drives. 3.5" Form factor is what you want.

Regarding our offerings: You've got a couple of options here. If you're looking to stick to purely budget, a 1TB (ST1000DM010) or 2TB(ST2000DM006) BarraCuda is a good option.

With your budget concerns, it's understandable why you're not wanting an SSD. They are awesome storage technology, but the cost for the amount of storage you're getting is quite high. If you'd like an option that gives you some of that performance benefit without skyrocketing the budget for the drive or vastly reducing the amount of storage space you're getting, another consideration would be an SSHD, or Solid-State Hybrid Drive (current Seagate branding: FireCuda). These drives place your most frequently accessed data on an SSD cache for faster load-time and performance, then also have a larger spinning storage capacity more typical of what you would see in a HDD so that you still get solid bang for your buck as far as storage space goes and has a 5 year warranty versus the common 2 years of the standard desktop HDD.

Here are a couple of charts if you're curious how these drives fare in comparison to other drive types:

The first one compares startup times across several popular games on a traditional spinning 7200 RPM HDD, our SSHD, and an M.2 SSD (128GB). The white is for SSD, the orange is for our SSHD, and the gray for the 7200 spinning HDD.

Startup Times

The next one compares the first 3 days of gaming storage utilization across several popular titles, and SYSmark ratings from various drive types and combinations. First of the grays is 7200 RPM 1TB spinning HDD, second (lightest gray) is our SSHD, third (darkest gray) is an SSD + 7200 RPM HDD combo, purple is SSD + our SSHD combo, and lastly blue is SSD.

First 3 Days Gaming Storage Utilization

Good luck with your new drive, regardless of which brand you decide is right for your needs in the end!

Solution