Question Slow internet speed on PC but not on other devices ?

brandonmills765

Honorable
Aug 2, 2018
So recently just upgraded to gigabit internet and the paid bandwidth is 900mbps. It just got activated today and the carrier says that it can take up to 10 days after the initial connection change for the bandwidth to be at its highest... but still, with my PC I am getting only about 50-70mbps download! But when I go onto my phone on the same network and check the speed it is over 300mbps!!! Why is my PC speed so slow compared to my phone, my PC internet speed feels throttled!

And when I go into control panel and look at my wifi adapters "WiFi Status" speed it is saying around 700-800mbps... so is that how much the PC is recieving?

Why am I only getting a smidge of the amount of bandwidth I am supposed to?

FYI WiFi card - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08NJ4HTL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You really need to test on ethernet to be sure you are getting the full bandwidth from the ISP.

In general most people will not get much more than 300mps on a wifi connection so if you are not going to have a ethernet connected pc you are pretty much wasting your money gbit internet. Also remember only file download will use large bandwidth nothing else comes even close so unless you do file downloads for many hours every day you likely could get by with even a 100mbps internet connection.

It is very hard to say what is different. You could be connecting on the 2.4g radio band on your pc and on the 5g radio band on your phone. So many people are lazy so router manufacture started setting the network name to a single name for all the radios. The end device many times picks the strongest signal not the fastest. You are better off setting them different so you can force it. This is even more important if you can really use the 6g radio band.

Your card support wifi6e. If you also have a router that supports wifi6e you might be able to get say 700mbps but that would be in the same room. If you are in the same room you really should be using ethernet anyway. Farther away using the 6g radio band tends to still be faster than 5g because for now at least there are fewer neighbors competing with you for the bandwidth.
I would still not expect even 500mbps at most with a couple walls in between. If your router supports wifi6e see if you can force a connection on that radio band.

There are all kinds of other strange stuff that can make 2 different devices work differently. For example the antenna on your pc are behind a large metal box, if you were to place your phone there it likely would also get less speed. Turning you pc around might give you better signals.