Slow Internet Speeds on One Computer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
My ISP (Comcast) is providing my household with 60Mbps down Internet speeds which when my modem/router is connected directly to any PC holds true to the promised speeds. When using speedtest.net to test the wireless connection around the router with my phone/laptop I get an average 57Mbps download speed. The computer I use is a desktop and as such cannot be moved, but is actually set-up in the room above where the router is located which I thought might be the cause of the slow internet speeds (0.7Mbps download) on this particular computer. When speed testing right next to the slow PC with a different phone/laptop, the speeds are a normal 50Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. This tells me that the floor between me and the router is now the problem and that it is instead something messed up with this particular computer, whether it be the drivers or something I don't know. I have tried contacting my ISP and restarting the modem/router and everything else on that end so I am sure that it has nothing to do with my service other than maybe some type of driver issue. So I ask anyone who might have a solution other than hard wiring a connection, seeing as that is impossible at the moment. Thank you for your time and help.

Rig Specs:
AMD FX Vishera-8320
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
AMD Radeon HD 7850
Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Ralink 802.11bgn 1T1R Wireless Adapter

Router:
Airport Extreme

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

So it looks like the most recent update for my network adapter (listed on the website as 5.1.7) lists it as a PCI card and not a PCIe card. Not sure if that means anything to you or not but just letting you know what version my card is on seems to be up to date. Couldn't find the antenna that you were talking about because it looks like the card is behind where my video card is located from the angle I am looking from. Will keep looking and possibly upload another picture though.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
67vac6.jpg

Does that help you locate the network card at all? I'm not sure what I am looking for so I figured You would know more than me. That's just the plugs for out the back of the computer from the inside. I don't know what I'm doing so that picture probably doesn't help.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Well I am 100% sure that there is nothing plugged into a USB port, unless that can somehow be done internally.

Technically it can but I didn't see anything like that in the pictures either. I'm baffled as to where it is but if you can't run a wired connection up there it may be easier to go with the option of disabling the current wireless and adding a new one (whether PCI express card or USB)

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

That's probably where I am going to go with this one. Any suggestions for PCIe cards that would work with the set up I have?

Dushmaa

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Slow internet happens for various reasons. You might have poor hardware connecting your machine to the wall. Maybe your modem-router is not configured correctly.
There are too many variables to take into consideration for your slow internet .

1. Distance you are from Exchange.
2. Condition of equipment, how up to date it is including the Exchange.
3. Age and condition of wiring, joins, corrosion in the system.
4. Line noise. Will affect it badly.
5. How heavily your exchange is subscribed to.
6. How many people are on at any one time.
Any combination of those will drag your speed down.,,

Here a few tips to speed up.
1. Upgrade your Internet Plan
2. Control Bandwidth Usage
3. Free-Up Temporary Directories
4. Optimize your Internet Settings
5. Update Microsoft Silverlight.
I can advise you to download this software,
Download CCleaner 4.15.4725 - FileHippo.com
Good Registry Cleaner which can extremely will improve your computer and Internet performance dramatically! Do all these and Perform speed here http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ once it will sounds better ...