Slow name resolution

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Grettings,

We have about 200 computers and Two NT 4.0 servers running
WINS. The Clients in question are the 50 Win 98's.

Here's the problem:

When I go to ping a pc by it's name, say DALEH, it takes
at least 8 to ten seconds to find the host. When I ping a
pc by it's IP it responds immediately. WINS is set up
right and all clients are set from DHCP as 0x8 nodes.

After I do an NBTSTAT -c I see the name in the cache and
ping again but it still takes a long time. So I added the
name in my host file and same thing. I did an NBTSTAT -r
and found that the names were resolved by WINS and
brodcast 5 times each.

Can some one help me fix my slow name resolution please?

Much Appreciatiion,

Chrisbo

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Do these clients have DNS configured? As ping is a winsock utility, it will
first try to use DNS name resolution, this might be the cause for the delay.
Try testing WINS name resolution using a NetBT oriented command such as 'net
view \\DALEH' instead and see if it works any faster.

--
Thanks,
Tansu Dimli

"Chrisbo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Grettings,
>

> We have about 200 computers and Two NT 4.0 servers running
> WINS. The Clients in question are the 50 Win 98's.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> When I go to ping a pc by it's name, say DALEH, it takes
> at least 8 to ten seconds to find the host. When I ping a
> pc by it's IP it responds immediately. WINS is set up
> right and all clients are set from DHCP as 0x8 nodes.
>
> After I do an NBTSTAT -c I see the name in the cache and
> ping again but it still takes a long time. So I added the
> name in my host file and same thing. I did an NBTSTAT -r
> and found that the names were resolved by WINS and
> brodcast 5 times each.
>

> Can some one help me fix my slow name resolution please?
>

> Much Appreciatiion,
>

> Chrisbo

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.protocol.tcpip (More info?)

Tansu,

I responds immediately to that net view \\host command.
What does this tell me?

Thank you,

Chrisbo

confers no rights.