phredrik

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I have a 15000 rpm seagate cheetah that is only running at 16 mbps transfer rate, is that normal? computer is dell dimension xps 500 mhz with 512 mb ram (don't laugh) is there a way to speed it up without a new computer?
note: also have a 7500 rpm seagate on same channel and a slower ide on a separate channel, the cheetah is drive c: at loc. 0

Having 512mb of ram and a Dell xps 500mhz may be the reason for the slow transfer rate , you have to remember that there are several parts inside the computer that are all connected together to process the data and you are limited by the weakest link (or links) in that chain.

phredrik

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

thanks for the answer, I guess I was just hoping I could get more out of it with some easy tweak or something

phredrik

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

I overclocked to a big 512 mhz and got a bsod, lol, the most ram it will run is
724 or something, would that make much difference? And yes, I plan on getting a new computer.

I think it would be 768 mb because it would go in increments of 128 or 256. In your case every little bit helps it's just that you don't have the room for very much improvement. Have you attempted to overclock the cpu?
If you are planning a new computer then sit down and figure out a budget amount and post a thread in the systems forum and get some idea's on what you can get.