Question Slow speed on Kingston A400 SSD (brand new)

Baracuda

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
So just yesterday i got new ssd for my laptop to speed up the system. I knew that this laptop may be runnung ssd on sata 2 speeds. So i checked speed in benchmark and i got 10 times less write speed than read. ~500 mb/s read and ~50 mb/s write and ssd just came out of the box. And its running with sata 3 mode so i dont know what's the problem. I know computers but saw this problem first time. Just want to be sure if it's the SSD or laptop causing the problem. Thanks in advance i know some one will be able to help.
Laptop:
HP Probook 6460b
CPU: i5-2520M
RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3
SSD: Kingston A400 240Gb (brand new)

Screen shot from benchmark

Baracuda

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
Check with AS SSD benchmark
this will show more details how it´s connected and configured

Is the laptop set to AHCI?

check the SSD with the Kingston tool box, eventually update the firmware of it

how much free space is left on this drive?

update the BIOS of your laptop
https://support.hp.com/in-en/driver...460b-notebook-pc/5045594/swItemId/ob-206569-2
i have allready latest bios and will check the utility you suggested. And as i said brand new drive just windows installed. Allso i checked smart on the drive and all seems fine i think must be laptop need to test in another pc this ssd. Checked for firware updates and its on the latest allready. And checked sata mode and it's AHCI. Really don't know what's the problem.
AS SSD bench

Last edited:
check the connection between laptop and SSD again

Did you replace the original hard drive with the new one or did you replace the optical drive with this SSD?

How hot is the SSD while testing?

try the intel update utility to get the latest drivers for your motherboard

Last edited:

Baracuda

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
check the connection between laptop and SSD again

Did you replace the original hard drive with the new one or did you replace the optical drive with this SSD?

How hot is the SSD while testing?

try the intel update utility to get the latest drivers for your motherboard
It's in the hard drive slot and still have cd drive in laptop. And ssd doen't get over 36 Celsius.
Intel utility does't find any driver updates. I might try just re installing the ssd in laptop maybe there is a bad connection. Did re plug the drive and speeds doesn't change i think this is a lost cause.

Last edited:
scan for driver updates for the Intel rapid storage (IRST) and Intel Management Interface with the software "driver booster". Don´t install drivers with it, just scan for updates. If it finds something, try serching this driver over the net and install it from there

if it reports Read Throughput of 500MB/s then SATA 3 is there, check the controller and make sure its using the right driver. Intel, JMicron, AMD or ASMedia. Check the alignment and space left on the drive? Write speeds will decrease due to the Windows Install but should bounce back once TRIM/garbage collection kick in. Make sure AHCI is enabled as mentioned.

Also check for antivirus or autoupdate activity when you run these tests