Slow speeds on my Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD

christer703

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
My problem is getting slow speeds on the NVMe disk. max read speeds is 850MB/s and max Write speeds is 780MB/s. Its suppose to be 2200 read and 900 write speeds. However, only when I put the pc in sleep mode and then wake it back up. I actually get full speeds. I have tried everything; reinstalling driver (samsung NVMe 1.1). reinstalling disk. updated to newest bios etc. I have seen on some forums to disable intel speedstep but that didnt work either. I have checked on Samsung magician and it is running on full PCIe x4. Thanks in advance for any help.

I Have windows 10 64bit on this on and it is my boot drive.
other pc specs:

Asrock Z170 Extreme 4
Intel Core i7 6700k
HyperX Fury 2666Mhz 16GB 4x4
Nvidia Geforce GTX 980TI
Two other HyperX 3K SSD's
Corsair HX750i

Solution
hi christer
if you are not putting huge amount of data on this drive, then it's all about temperature..
try turn on your air conditioner and cooling your laptop
:)

Qisong

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
hi christer
if you are not putting huge amount of data on this drive, then it's all about temperature..
try turn on your air conditioner and cooling your laptop
:)

Solution

tom_spinach

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
As Qisong mentioned there is thermal throttling, you can see this issue in many online Reviews. So in me opinion those M.2 are useless anways. They are nice to have, but are not necessary at all. Because they start to throttle early a lot. Intel improved this issue with heatspreaders on their pcie ssd.