Question slow texture rendering in all games

rezplog

Honorable
Mar 27, 2016
i have a 3060ti with i7-6700k CPU, 32GB RAM and my HD is a 1TB NVME SSD. i noticed that certain textures and models will not fully load unless i approach them or wait for them to load in after a solid delay.

here is screenshots i took to show you what i mean. in the first picture, you can see the brown/beige building in the center right looks horrible along with some other background buildings. then in the second picture the building is fixed, after waiting a couple seconds for the rendering to load in.
this is happening across all of my games that feature big open world space (doesn't happen in close quarter games like overwatch, or not noticeable at least.) i've tried reinstalling nvidia drivers with DDU, and basically every recommended fix in the book. i'm not sure what the cause is. nothing is bottlenecking, CPU, RAM and GPU levels are all completely fine in-game

NOTE: before my current setup, i used to have a much better setup inside of a different PC tower casing, but an electrical issue fried my old MOBO, RAM and my i7-9700K CPU. i moved my still-working 3060 into my dad's old office PC tower, which already had my current 6700K and RAM already inside of it. so i suspect it could have something to do with the fact that apart from my GPU, the rest of the components used to be for a high-powered office PC and not a gaming setup (though I don't see why that should still cause any issues.) frame rates and performance are fine in all games, but the texture loading issue is driving me insane.

that is called mipmaps, and yes its very common on open world games, you can use nvidia inspector and change there LOD bias to negative value, that will render higher resolution textures furter away from you much quicker
if you have TAA (temporal antialiasing), you can go with like -1.25 or -1.0 (depends on resolution used), if only FXAA you can go just around -0.25 LOD as without TAA picture would be shimmering/grainy

Last edited:

rezplog

Honorable
Mar 27, 2016
thanks for the info, i just downloaded inspector. it looks like my global settings are set to use FXAA and not TAA. under the texture filtering category on inspector, i see "LOD bias (DX), LOD bias (OGL), and Negative LOD bias (set to CLAMP). the LOD bias DX and OGL are adjustable, which one do i input your values into?

rezplog

Honorable
Mar 27, 2016
that is called mipmaps, and yes its very common on open world games, you can use nvidia inspector and change there LOD bias to negative value, that will render higher resolution textures furter away from you much quicker
if you have TAA (temporal antialiasing), you can go with like -1.25 or -1.0 (depends on resolution used), if only FXAA you can go just around -0.25 LOD as without TAA picture would be shimmering/grainy
update: holy crap, this definitely fixed the issue for closer range texture issues (i went with FXAA to -0.25). is there anyway to now increase the range of these texture fixes? (right now, objects/buildings that are mid-range from me are still prone to not rendering until i approach them)

rezplog

Honorable
Mar 27, 2016
anisotrophic filtering is set to x16?
yep. i did a lot of digging around regarding the LOD issues i've been having in these games, and i'm realizing it's most likely a software issue pertaining to each game rather than a problem with my hardware. for example, the random untextured building problem on spider man remastered seems to be a common bug across the community, and LOD issues have always been notorious with GTA 4, seeing as it's now a 14 year old game. it sucks, since it means there's likely no solution within my control, but at least it's not my PC that's the problem