[SOLVED] Slow UEFI boot time, Ultra Fast slow but Legacy Mode fast

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
Hi I recently just converted my MBR Windows 10 dual boot to GPT/UEFI. I was coming from an old X58 build which of course only used MBR.

So I used MBR2GPT.exe to convert and everything worked. I turned off CSM on my Z490 Taichi BIOS so it's only UEFI from what I can see. But now, it takes my system 22:30 secs on average to get to the Windows dual boot screen.

Before in Legacy mode, it used to take no more than 15 secs or even 10 secs. I never timed it but this new UEFI was slow enough that I had to time it now.

SO i went to my bios to choose Fast boot. I only had the option for Ultra Fast. Not Fast. I thought all motherboards were supposd to have a Fast Boot option as well.

Anyways I selected Ultra Fast time but the time didn't really change. It just prevented me from being able to use my keyboard to interrupt booting. Boot time on Ultra Fast was 22:28 secs

Now my system is Overclocked. i9-10850K at 5Ghz and Ram at 4000mhz via XMP 2.0
Bbut I wouldn't think this would affect booting?

Solution
That might be part of the slowdown. Win 10 isn't really designed to run dual boot with itself but clearly you got it working. I don't see it very often, its likely the 2nd install did something to the 1st.

@SkyNetRising whats a good place to look to see what is slowing this boot down?

Colif

Win 11 Master
so you moved a dual boot system from an old PC to a new one without clean installing and only problem you have is its slower to boot? Sounds like you got off easy.

is the time loss in the part where it shows the boot flash screen or once windows is booting?

what is first item in boot order? is there a choice called windows boot manager with your boot drive listed in it? it should be first.

If the windows time, it may be faster if you clean installed on new PC, its possible it is using the wrong drivers. 7 seconds isn't a massive difference really.

SO i went to my bios to choose Fast boot. I only had the option for Ultra Fast. Not Fast. I thought all motherboards were supposd to have a Fast Boot option as well.
you sure?

Fast Boot
Fast Boot minimizes your computer's boot time. In fast mode you may not boot from an USB storage device. The VBIOS must support UEFI GOP if you are using an external graphics card. Please notice that Ultra Fast mode will boot so fast that the only way to enter this UEFI Setup Utility is to Clear CMOS or run the Restart to UEFI utility in Windows.
page 108 - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z490 Taichi.pdf
you saying the only choice is ultra? maybe thats just what they call it.

sounds like bios may not be set up right to run uefi. How long had you run in legacy before?

Last edited:

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
so you moved a dual boot system from an old PC to a new one without clean installing and only problem you have is its slower to boot? Sounds like you got off easy.

is the time loss in the part where it shows the boot flash screen or once windows is booting?

what is first item in boot order? is there a choice called windows boot manager with your boot drive listed in it? it should be first.

If the windows time, it may be faster if you clean installed on new PC, its possible it is using the wrong drivers. 7 seconds isn't a massive difference really.

you sure?

page 108 - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z490 Taichi.pdf
you saying the only choice is ultra? maybe thats just what they call it.

sounds like bios may not be set up right to run uefi. How long had you run in legacy before?
Yeah the first time I powered on the new build, the mobo restarted and then recognized my old SATA 3 SSD and booted. In the boot settings it was CSM enabled.

So after I switched my SSD to GPT and changed it to UEFI and this applied to both my dual booted Win10 installations

The time loss between the Bios and loading to the Windows blue screen where it lets you select which OS to use. In Legacy, it would flash the BIOS page then 5 secs later if that, it would present me with the Windows blue screen to pick an OS

With UEFI, it takes its time with the Asrock Logo as it loads windows

I have since then moved to my new nVME SSD and changed to ultra fast and nothing changed. Everything in my OS shows that its UEFI and I have disabled the only place you can find Legacy Settings under. Which is the CSM support

I have also refreshed my OS from within Windows 10. I told Windows 10 to reset my computer once I got to the nvme. Mind you I didn't have any problems in Legacy with the old Windows 10 versions. In fact I was able to install my mobo drivers on top of my old drivers and my games play better with the increased CPU power from the i7 930 to a 10850K. The only issue I have is the 22 total seconds it takes me to go from a cold boot to the Windows blue screen. Which has only happened in UEFI @Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us a screen shot of disk management?
open it so it shows all details in both top and bottom area
I am curious where your boot partition is, what drive.

upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

What drives are in this PC now?

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
can you show us a screen shot of disk management?
open it so it shows all details in both top and bottom area
I am curious where your boot partition is, what drive.

upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

What drives are in this PC now?
l7gzHmo.png

@Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, there is no physical reason its slower.

Was the mbr partition on the same drive as the efi is? just wonder if bios isn't looking at another drive 1st before finding the efi.

So after I switched my SSD to GPT and changed it to UEFI and this applied to both my dual booted Win10 installations
So are you dual booting win 10 still? which disk is the other install on?

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
well, there is no physical reason its slower.

Was the mbr partition on the same drive as the efi is? just wonder if bios isn't looking at another drive 1st before finding the efi.

So are you dual booting win 10 still? which disk is the other install on?
I have since then clean installed both of my Windows installations. THey are both on the same nvme. And they should both be UEFI

Colif

Win 11 Master
That might be part of the slowdown. Win 10 isn't really designed to run dual boot with itself but clearly you got it working. I don't see it very often, its likely the 2nd install did something to the 1st.

@SkyNetRising whats a good place to look to see what is slowing this boot down?

Solution