Question Slow Upload Speed but Speedtest.net says it's good

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Hello,

I've been having some issues with my upload speed. I stream regularly to the twitch and have sometimes had issues with my bitrate being less than optimal. There are some days where it's fine and I'm hitting 20 mb/s upload, which is what I should be getting. Other days I'm only getting 4-7. These are the numbers I'm getting when I test on google's speed test when I'm having bitrate issues. But when I go to speedtest.net, it always says that I'm getting 20+.

It was suggested that there was something hardware related. I've updated all of my drivers to be sure those were good. I've updated the firmware on my Router as well (ASUS RT-AX3000). Yet I'm still having issues. I'm also connected via Cat 7 Ethernet cable that is about 1 year old, and I've had this issue on multiple devices.

I'm out of ideas and am hoping someone here can help me find a solution.

Thanks!

In many ways you really want to hope this is some software setting in your application if you really want to fix it.

Pretty much because speedtest says you can get 20mbps your ISP is not going to care.....not that they would care even if you didn't since they like have the "up to" fine print.

So what I would first do if you have never done it is to choose different servers on speedtest. Start by simply picking other ones in the same city and then try other cities. What you will find is the speeds are very likely going to be different. This is because the servers themselves are different and also the path your data takes to the servers is likely different. Most times the ISP wants you to test to their speedtest servers in the first place.

The problem is even though this might be interesting data to see you can do nothing to change any of it. You have no control over the server or the path your data takes. From your standpoint you have your pc it send the data over the same ethernet cable to your router that sends it to the modem that then sends it over the cable coming to your house to the ISP. After that it is hard to say how the pathing goes. Maybe if there was a issue in the path to your house you could do something but lets say there is some bottleneck between your ISP and google its not like you can do anything to change that and you will never get to a tech at your ISP that even has a clue on something complex like that....I mean have your powered your pc on and off :)

Reactions: DOLZERO

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Thanks. Next time I call them I will point out that the HUB for their service is in Chicago and not Eau Claire when they insist that I run speedtest.net to check my speeds.

I forget I was helping a relative that lived near eauclair and though it was strange all the data went to chicago first even when you go to servers in say Minneapolis. They were just doing simple stuff so other than it being strange it did not seem to affect them much.

If you have a ISP that has poor internet connectivity to other ISP there is very little you can do. The only solution is to get a different ISP which tends to not be a option for most people. What might work is to use a vpn service. There are special "gamer" vpn services like say exitlag that have purchased their own private connections with low latency to some of the major gaming data center cities. Mostly this is used in say asia where many ISP do not have access to the most optimum undersea fiber path.

This is all trial and error. What you need to do is find a VPN service that has a data center you have very good latency to but has a better path to the actual end server you want to access. Say your neighbor had a different ISP and let you run a cable (pretend vpn) to their house you would might get better response.
I have my doubts if you are using the same ISP I saw. They seemed almost to have run a fiber to chicago and that was their only connection to the outside world.

Reactions: DOLZERO