[SOLVED] Slow wireless speed when communicating with router storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2020
I have a 1TB USB storage device attached to my wifi router that I have no problems accessing from my laptop. However, I have noticed that when I am uploading files to the storage container that the upload speed is ridiculously slow, at best 5 MB/s (40 Mbps). I am using the 5GHz band and not downloading/uploading any other files during the transfer. I am using the laptop just a few feet from the router with nothing hampering the signal.

I have an ASUS wireless AC1300 Dual-Band gigabit router. I am using an MSI GS65 laptop. My laptop wireless adaptor gives me a Link speed of over 800 Mbps which is over 20 times faster than the speed at which I can currently transmit.

Is this 40 Mbps speed normal when uploading files to a wireless router storage or am I supposed to be able to reach must faster speeds?

Solution
Those ports on routers are not speed demons. Most routers are running full tilt boogie just to cover the basic functions with little left over for superfluous functions like printer/file sharing. Better performance requires a dedicated machine on the network.
Jun 28, 2020
It is if your storage is not fast enough.

When the usb storage drive is attached my computer I can transfer files at 100 MB/s. The storage drive is an old hard drive that I put in an enclosure. I don't expect to be able to transfer data at 100 MB/s, but surely it should be faster than the 5 MB/s that I'm getting now.

Those ports on routers are not speed demons. Most routers are running full tilt boogie just to cover the basic functions with little left over for superfluous functions like printer/file sharing. Better performance requires a dedicated machine on the network.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.