Slower Than A K|NGP|N, Faster Than Everything Else: EVGA Reveals GTX 980 Ti FTW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
''EVGA advertises the K|ngp|n and charges by AISC quality''

I see today kingpins at newegg but I guess you cant pick and choose the AISC as you can from evga store ??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487163

then I seen this at evga and seen the water cards aint listed today as well

http://forums.evga.com/Did-Newegg-sell-me-a-used-card-m2390616.aspx

I don't know new eggs site is just bad shows certain cards on time killed that page and reloaded newegg and the cards and now theres a different list of cards from what was listed 2 min. ago ?

gmuser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
To simplify:
Do you think MSI could refuse RMA on their GTX 970 that you linked above (with reference speed 1051, and factory OC 1114), if it fails to achieve stable 1114 ?
- if YES : how they defend it legally, since it was officially in specs, and main decision element for most buyers ?
- if NO : how they can then refuse RMA if they fail to be stable at other OC modes they advertise on other cards? (remember, 1114 was also an OC)

''I have been looking for a review of the 9xx Hydrocopper to see if EK OEM solves the VRAM / VRM temp issue. Yell if ya find one
''
so far I think you use a titan one and and a mod ??

http://forums.evga.com/980Ti-Kingpin-Waterblock-m2391087.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/Water-block-for-980-Ti-m2388728.aspx

kinda makes me wonder why so long on this ?? that's been asked and wondered about for a long time now on a few posts as well ??

like this guy that shelled out big and how it ended up looking for him

http://forums.evga.com/980-Ti-Kingpin-SLI-won39t-overclock-much-m2386367.aspx

I haven't used an EVGA card in over 5 years.

1. The SC series is in the price category most users want and I think you give too much away against the competition with the SCs reference PCB.

2. Dealing with TS is just too arduous. Very polite but making me go thru the same 17 steps on the 2nd call as we did on the 1st call .... and the 3rd call ... and every subsequent call eats too much of my time. I swear it's desigend to make you stop calling :)

3. While I would consider the Classified a worthwhile investment years ago ... when they offered a performance improvement comparable to the price premium .... with nVidia's design and legal restrictions, I just don't see the ROI with current cards that we used to get "in the ole days"

What I was referring to was the xtremerigs test and youtube video where they tested the 780 / 780 Ti / Titan waterblocks against 6 competitors.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2013/10/03/nvidia-gtx780titan-water-block-roundup/2/

I was talking about aftermarket water blocks for the EVGA cards but was focusing on the deficiencies of the EVGA Hydrocopper specifically. It's performance was really not much better than the CLC type hybrid thingamajiggeys we see today. The EVGA Hydrocopper was 1C cooler than EK custom block on the GPU .... but was 10C hotter on VRAM and 30C hotter on VRM.

Swiftech made the Hydrocopper blocks for the 7xx series ... I know the EK custom block will be great. What I am wondering is , with EK reportedly being the new OEM for the Hydrocopper, will the 9xx series hydrocopper be any better ?

As for that forum guy... holy crap, with "This gives 1430Mhz boost clock and 7400Mhz memory" he got hosed.

That's the lowest 970 Ti OC I have seen ... TPUs reference card to did that.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_STRIX_Gaming/33.html

ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX 1472 MHz 2070 MHz
Palit GTX 980 Ti JetStream 1515 MHz 2100 MHz
ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! 1465 MHz 1990 MHz
MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 1507 MHz 2040 MHz
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ 1491 MHz 1900 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 1512 MHz 2100 MHz
GTX 980 Ti 1437 MHz 2070 MHz

Tho at 85C the card starts throttling (or is this different on the Classy's ?) ... he needs better case cooling but I don't think it's going to improve things much.

I'm glad I built my custom loop SLI rig, watercooled, 2 pumps, rigid tubing, .... it's quieter than a dead mouse. And it gave me 6 weeks of fun building it,

But performance wise, the MoBo (M6F) has been a PITA and I'm getting a bit tired of doing builds for people that come back because they will remain stable thru Heaven, Valley, Firestrike, Furmark forever, but fail on certain games. Is it the cards , the OC or the games to blame. I used to say "not BF4 stable", so run stock when playing that game.... But now w/ Witcher 3 being funky, the appeal of OC'ing for performance is getting less appealing.

but if you look back and think hard with all these 900 cards it seem its just one thing after another with them .. thing is you cabn do a hybrid 980 ti at 1430 referande board at maby 55c max temp ?

but like you say guys looking at these 900 cards and look back at what use to be pretty much sums up what you said above

just something about all these 900 cards just don't really add up

also don't forget the 970 is not a true NVidia card and just a free for all slap one together from chips that did not make a 980 and used 700 cards parts

Furthermore, as we mentioned in our GTX 980 review, GTX 970 has been a pure virtual (no reference card) launch, which means all of NVIDIA’s partners are launching their custom cards right out of the gate. A lot of these have been recycled or otherwise only slightly modified GTX 700/600 series designs, owing to the fact that GM204’s memory bus has been held at 256-bits and its power requirements are so low.
Meanwhile since NVIDIA did not produce reference cards, for GTX 970 reviewers are being sampled directly by NVIDIA’s partners.

I sure was loking to run a 900 card but I just cant seem to find trust in them ?? only one I see to trust to work run cool with a nive clock on it is that evga hybrid or if you got a loop on the cpu is the hydro copper ??

the rest of th factory oc cards too much risk of a issue in some way

you figure this card water cooled 55c max at load clocked at 1140/1228

then the classy at 1190/1291 that may run 80c and fans blasting close to throttle point [some guys with air cooled cards see throttling at as low as 65c] wow ..

so a little extra [$50] fpr the water and I really don't see them clock differences affecting things over all ?? and then if you were to get a good overclocker you now still got the water to keep the temps well in line anyway

Be that as it may, the 970 is a real oddball ... ever wonder why the 980 Ti throttles at 7C below it's max temp and the 970 at 18C below ? Cause if ya used 7C, the danged thing would be barely distinguishable from the performance to the 980. I don't think I can agree about the card not being "real" as it's also unique in the 3.5 / 0.5 Gb split .... we don't have that in either the 7xx or 9x series. It's also $80 cheaper than it's predecessor and despite the artificial throttling delivers an amazing ROI.

The MSI 980 Ti's run really well..... not quite as fast as Gigabyte's but they don't pull 360 watts either. I really want to see a detailed review of the Poseidon .... saw lot of the "let me read the press release and do some benchmark reviews but no real teardowns to explain how it works. I mean if you're not going to even take the plastic shroud off i am not interested in reading a 20 page review starting with 3 pages of unboxing pics and 3 pages explaining maxwell (generates ad revenue I guess) . But 1277 Core / 1518 boost / 8000 memory ain't bad. Seems to be tho that something more than a simple U shaped run across the vapor chamber would have produced better results.

Maybe nVidia should adopt the Microsoft / cell phone sales model .... subscription based.... trade in your old one every 2 years at no extra charge. :)

lol I see a thread on the new r9 nano water block . cards been out for like a week and all ready a aftermarket block?/

so why has the 980 ti been out as long as it has but so far one a prototype in the works as of yet for a non reference card ??

just released

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-fc980-gtx-ti-strix-nickel

g1 gaming
http://configurator.ekwb.com/waterblock/3831109830918

that's 840 bucks to water cool a strix 980 ti ?? that's 100 bucks more then the evga hybrid and 50 more then the hydro copper ? and its all on you to hpe it all comes apart right and you put it together right then how is asus warrantee on you taking apart the card if something was to of gone wrong ??

just seems like folly to me ?

thing I don't get is why is there not a factory 980 ti king pin or classy hydro card to start with ?? if making a high end custom card way cut it short with a lack luster air cooler to start with ??

that's 840 bucks to water cool a strix 980 ti ?? that's 100 bucks more then the evga hybrid and 50 more then the hydro copper ? and its all on you to hpe it all comes apart right and you put it together right then how is asus warrantee on you taking apart the card if something was to of gone wrong ??

Well the thing is what are you getting for your extra $50 - $100 ?

On the EVGA Classified, there is a price schedule for AISC quality where you are paying up to $370 more for a perceived or expected increase in overclocking ability.

So if that's the idea here .....

1. That's $150 direct from EK an overseas company. It's a new thing in short supply (available in US only since 8/14) so they will continue to gouge their customers for a while. I expect it will son drop to the normal $125 level in a month or so as is typical. The "short" blocks usually wind up at around $115.

2. The hybrid is $100 cheaper but what does it get you ? IS it going to get you bigger OC's ? I doubt it. No body is hitting a GPU temp wall, they're hitting a wall at VRM temps or voltage limits, the later which can be addressed by editing the BIOS for those willing oir comfy enough to take that step.

3. The Hydro copper is $50 cheaper. The Swiftech made Hydrocopper had VRM temps 63C above ambient. With summer of 27C not unusual, that's 90C. So yes the GPU at 37C (+10 over ambient) is obviously not a concern but just how far can we go with VRM at 90C ? Is it worth $50 to get the VRM down to 60C ? For me it certainly would be. And again, in 4 - 6 weeks, if trends hold, that will be only $15.

I agree with you.... buying in bulk, a water block shouldn't cost more than $50. Ya have to wonder why no one is doing it and the answer that makes the most sense is.... it just won't be able to produce the numbers needed for peeps to say, yeah, I'll pay $200 more for two of those plus another $700 for the rest of the loop.

you gain a cool running card ?? how hard is that to see with them ?? as I said heres a card or cards [gtx900] that seem to have a tough time at high or any overclock over reference sure you get factory oced cards the se all the is my card running hot ? cant oc over xxx ? if you been following these cards its easy to see

from a newegg review of the hybrid ''
Other Thoughts: Easily the best card I have used. So much quieter than any other card, and significantly cooler. I used this to replace my MSI 980 TI Gaming card, which was running at around 80C. This card now runs at nothing more than 50C.

''The hybrid is $100 cheaper but what does it get you ? IS it going to get you bigger OC's ? I doubt it'' are any going to give more than what I will out of the box ?? NO . is that water card going to be a issue if it will and you cant keep the temps down ?? NO di you read up on how easy these cards start to throttle at any temp ??

the advantage of the evga factory water cards is there assembled and warranted right out of the box plug and play -- the rest [aftermarket] is all on you to disassemble with out causing damage - reassemble correctly with out causing damage and insure it works properly .. the risks are in your lap....

'' agree with you.... buying in bulk, a water block shouldn't cost more than $50. Ya have to wonder why no one is doing it and the answer that makes the most sense is.... it just won't be able to produce the numbers needed for peeps to say, yeah, I'll pay $200 more for two of those plus another $700 for the rest of the loop.''

well if you kept up with this a the evga forums they wondered and asked why no aftermarket coolers like from ekwb was not ready and all the foot dragging on them ??? did they see a waste of investment at first ?? did they see something up with 900 cards at first and did the old wait and see ?? being that's there market why did they not have something ready right at the get go seeing how high the demand for just the evga water cards were just on the reference board?? [stroking chin whiskers ] and it sill sems to get one weather a hybrid or hydro from evga its first come first served preorders list ...???

one thing with evga is they keep changing there boards lay outs so a block may fit one card but not the other nothings standard with them caps moved around vrm changes ect.... so I guess its hard to make a block to fit a ever changing board configuration and why it just reference that gets one ??

http://forums.evga.com/STATEMENT-BY-KINGPIN-THAT-PROVES-900-SERIES-DOES-NOT-SCALE-WITH-VOLTAGE-NO-MATTER-BRAND-m2362059.aspx

like I say to me each one of these 900 cards has something about them that kinda don't add up overall

and now I see your overclocking is affected by the drivers released from NVidia

well I don't know but one thing is if I were to buy a 980ti I cant see anything but the hybrid or hydrocopper but funny I lok at all this and just keep running this poor old AMD hd 7000 . still does all I ask of it with out issue and aint costing me a dime [LOL]

just for fun .....
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805112/gtx-980-throttling-even-below-80c/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1528783/msi-gtx-970-gaming-voltage-throttling-at-65-deg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1561166/gtx-980-ti-throttles-at-65-degrees

heres what I don't get

we can clearly see what NVIDIA is promising: GTX 980’s power consumption is lower than everything else on the board, and noticeably so. With 294W at the wall, it’s 20W less than GTX 770, 29W less than 290X, and some 80W less than the previous NVIDIA flagship, GTX 780 Ti. At these power levels NVIDIA is essentially drawing the power of a midrange class card, but with chart-topping performance.

so with todays cooler [air] why are these cards running so hot to start with ??? like they claim with power hungry AMD card that there power useage causes there heat ??? kinda blows that out of the water and seem to show that's a load of crap ???

Status
Not open for further replies.